Old 07-25-2012   #21
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I've had good luck freezing Guinness Draught. The little plastic ball of nitrogen helps to absorb the expanding ice, and the beer carbonates on opening. Cold tasty, smooth and good for you!

paddlepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #22
Grand Junction, Colorado
it will be flat with a duller taste never had a beer that was frozen and melted taste the same.

flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #23
Idaho, Wyoming
When I do carpentry work, I keep Bud's in the freezer and use them to keep my lunch cold. They are usually just right around 4:30 or 5 o'clock. Bud lights explode. I always assumed that the lower alcohol content made them expand more. I doubt they use different cans.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #24
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
On a recent trip, some guys froze beer into the bottom of their coolers, in a walk-in, with just enough water to cover the cans. They only had the cooler in the the freezer for a day or so, so it did not freeze the water completely, but we were chipping cold beer out of the ice on night 6.
Another guy on the trip froze a case of rolling rock and that seemed to work, but I didn't taste any of that crap to verify the result.
I heard of this method, and am going to try it for a late Aug mfs this year.
Take all the cans out of the cardboard case/12er, then "line" the box with a garbage bag or two, replace all the cans. Put some duct tape around the box so that it'll hold up to the weight. Fill the bag with water, thus surrounding the beer inside the box, and freeze.
Now you have block ice, and tasty cold beverages...
SALRVRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #25
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
Marie that is a good start, but please do more research, particularly in the IPA dept.
I have a can of Big Sky IPA, a can of Ranger, and a can of Sierra Nevada Torpedo I'd be willing to risk for the sake of science.

Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
Shake the beer cans after they've thawed and give a half hour or so for the CO2 to reabsorb, then drink. The CO2 that has separated is still under pressure and the agitation aids in recarbonation. At least it works when kegging homebrews in corny kegs - same principle on a smaller scale.
Duh. I should have remembered that. You would also want to make sure the can is 100% thawed before opening. If you've got tough thumbs, you might also be able to shove the bottom dimple back in if it has bulged--to decrease headspace in the can and keep pressure high in the can to force re-carbonation.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote