Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-16-2008   #11
Indian Hills, Colorado
zoom flume will be nearly flushed but heads up for canyon doors...that hole gets bigger with more water

crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #12
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
For the interested ppl....there is no closure. Its not even written into the plan on the State Park rec site. Only three, pine creek-1250cfs (depends on the company though), Numbers - 2400cfs, Royal Gorge - 3200cfs. At least thats the current high water advisement. If you want to look more for it or contact; here is the link.

Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area Home - Colorado State Parks

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #13
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Your source is wrong. Unless those park wussies changed something. I'll tell ya but you know what we want.

Opps missed that 2nd page of the thread. Hopes it's over 5K for ya, way fun! Last time I guided it higher then that we had 12 swimmers out of a 6 load and a couple of us didn't swim. And don't let your guide cheat Sidels on the right, Go For It!
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #14
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
I don't think they (State) ever officially close Browns Canyon but they publish a warning against running it and all of the companies recognize that if there was an accident lawyers would have a heyday with it so they observe the recommendation. This is what happened in 1995 when it hit 7200. I think they unofficially closed it at about 6000.
Vaya Con Rios!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #15
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
Sorry Mike but in 95 browns was never closed and it only hit 6200. Which was fucking awesome.

Down stream in the gorge hit over 7k on black sunday.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #16
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Originally Posted by freexbiker View Post
Big Big...Big mistake
I agree. Wang = Wankster. Posting about free beer but in fact providing nothing but an annoying post about Browns: -10 points.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #17
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by stinginrivers View Post
Sorry Mike but in 95 browns was never closed and it only hit 6200. Which was fucking awesome.

Down stream in the gorge hit over 7k on black sunday.
The numbers are a bit fuzzy but it was really high. USGS says the peak in 95 was 3930 as the highest ever (must be wrong) and about 5500 on the historic hydrograph for 95. I remember 7200 as the number that was going around at the time. My point though- the authorities never officially closed the river but made a strong recommendation for commercial outfits not to run so all (or most?) of the companies did not. It was an amazing few days. I remember pinball and zoom flume being particularly outrageous.
Vaya Con Rios!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #18
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by Wang View Post
What CFS do they close Browns to commercial rafters?
In 1995 when the river was high, the peak was 6,200, Browns Canyon never did officially close. Although some companies did choose to stop running it for a few days around the peak, about 5,500 and up. The company I worked for choose not to run it then, though all of the guides were more comfortable on Browns than on the section we ran instead. The USGS data is a mean daily flow, so it is not going to show the daily peak, just an averaged value. That year there were two peaks both above 6,000. Browns Canyon will not reach this level this year. Anything over 3,000 is a blast, have fun.

Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote