Old 06-10-2011   #1
Salida, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Free Beer! for event help

Experienced kayayers needed! The Pine Creek Boater X is in limbo right now due to the the flow through Granite. The AHRA and race organizers have determined that a race at these levels would be a bad idea. Other options are being considered but if the levels stay the same, no boater X.

Here is the Free Beer part.

If you can commit to helping with safety boating on Thursday, June 16th you will be rewarded with either Monarch ski passes or a free pair of Mountain khakis pants, and a beer token if the race happens. If we cancel the race, commited safety kayakers will receive a couple of free beer tokens for the festival.

This could be a way to see a great event or a great way to score free beer for doing nothing. We will make this decision possibly on Tuesday the 14th. Please call Phil at 719-221-2229 for more info or pm me.

Thanks for everyone who has helped in the past and we hope to see you at the New Belgium FIBArk Whitewater Festival in Salida, CO

And if you plan on competing for any events please register online to save our time and your money. Onsite registration is still available, so please check the event schedule on the website for registration desk times.

Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #2
The next zone, .
Hey phil if it makes a difference I think that we may be able to have a very strong safety boating crew of BV loc's that would be willing to help out this year due to the high water..

If it is on let me know and I will try and rally some boys..

"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #3
Hey Phil -

Not like I have been to the race in a few years but I remember the boater-x being one of the cooler events. IF Pine is too high and IF you are going to change the venue to a new location, what might the new location be?

Also, not like I would race but if competitors were comfortable with it, it would be pretty badass to see 'em route the rapid at high water, but yeah, the swim out of the hole is pretty dangerous at high levels.

One last-ditch suggestion if no other venues make sense and competitors want the race to happen would be to make the heats smaller to reduce the chance of swims and make more safety available per paddler.

I'm sure whatever you guys decide will make sense...
American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote