Old 07-24-2005   #1
Fraud/Money Scam on Mountain Buzz

I have been advertising a kayak on mountainbuzz for awhile, and i get this guy who claims he wants to buy it from me. So....I just wanted anyone who is advertising on Mountainbuzz to be aware of this fraud scam. This guy is located somewhere in the UK, and I have seen these types of scams before. Here is his email that he sent me in case he tries to contact anyone else(by the way he needs to use a spellchecker, or take a writing class or three). Just wanted everyone to know about this, it doesn't just happen on Mountainbuzz, but be aware of people like this. He probably doesn't even kayak and is a litte bizatch..... cookler

Hello ,

Thanks for your mail.this is how i will want us to seal the transaction bcos i dont want any delay at all.So all i am going to do is to contact my associate in the state to issue you a bank draft of $3,000 which will be for both the shipping and your own money So all i will want you
to do when you recieve the check, is to deduct your own moneY $400 and send the re! maining shipping funds through VIA WESTERN UNION to my international shipping agent,once he receieves the balance will come over to your location the very next day for pick up, now the money wired to the shipper is his fees for his services, transportation to your location and back to me, also for all charges that may arise along this transaction cos i will want it to be delivered to me safe and sound without problems, i shall send you my shipper address as soon as i contact him So if this terms are okay by you i will need your contact address and phone number so that i can forward to my a ssociate who will be issueing
you the check.I look forward to your reply. Note: The shipping funds will be wired to my international shipping agent that will come for the pickup of the KEVLAR STRIKE SLALOM KAYAK he would be the one to arrange the shipping from USA or UK to where i am living.! now that we have an agreement I will like y! ou to remove the advert you placed on the website so that you will recieve no more offers.the cheque will be sent to you via fedex. I will give you a call as soon as you required to send cheque :

FULL NAME .......
Phone number Office / ce

Christopher Cook <> wrote:
as stated in the ad. i am up for the best offer. i have a couple of people
expressing interest, but have not made any offers. so, if you are
interested i am open to offers. later, chris

>From: chad Goheen
>To: Christopher Cook
>Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:14:26 +0100 (BST)
>Hello ,
> Thanks for the mail,pls give me the last offier for the KEVLAR STRIKE
>SLALOM KAYAK,hope to hear from you have a nice day
>Christopher Cook wrote:
>Here is what I know about the boat. The Strike was made by Seda. It was
>introduced in about 1976, used by a few decent slalom racers in the late
>70s, and pretty much obsolete by 1982. It never had much success on the
>tougher international circuit. It was a relatively stable boat, not as fast
>or crisp handling as some, but very predictable. Compared to the short,
>hull boats of today, it would astound you with its speed! I pretty much
>do whitewater class III-IV and really dont' have much use for this boat.
>Let me know if you need more information. Also, I have attached the same
>pictures as seen on Let me know if you need more pics...
>thanks, and have a great day!
>By the way, are you in the UK? Just curious.
> >From: chad Goheen
> >To:
> >Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 05:42:13 +0100 (BST)
> >
> >Hi,
> >My name is Chad.I saw your ad which says it is for sale and i am verymuch
> >interested in buying it from you.I will like you to email meback,letting
> >know if it is still for sale with every important information ineed to
> >about it.Thank you and i will be expecting your reply with the
> >information(please send some pictures too).
> >Regards,
> >Mr Chad.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

cookler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #2
Same thing with me!

I received almost the exact emails from the same "Chad". The only difference was "Never used Inflatable kayak" was inserted into the text(which is what I'm trying to sell). I am sure it is a scam of some kind. It does appear pretty obvious that something is fishy by the wording , grammer and spelling...but still beware. I have forwarded a copy of the emails and information to a local County Sheriff detective to see what can be done.

Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #3
Boulder, Colorado
From what I have heard/read about this type of scam.

You receive the check, and deposit it. After a day or two, the bank makes the money available to your account, but the check itself hasn't fully cleared (normally it might take a week or two).

So in the meantime, you've checked your balance, it shows the $3000, you say "great", ship the goods, and Western Union back the difference (of course you
had to pay Western Union from your account). Just about that time, the original check doesn't clear, your account is now minus the $3000 and the perp has the Western Union money and possibly the goods that you just shipped to somewhere.

All bank drafts and certified checks really mean is that there was money to cover it when the bank draft or certified check was written.

A money order or some sort of escrow account is probably much safer, and wait for every thing to clear first.
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #4
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
just another heads up on this scam... just got a series of email fro the same "Chad Goheen" with a uk email address with the EXACT same series of responses as written above. He's still out there and it smells very fishy. All your info helped me to tell him to f*** off. Thanks!
tyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #5
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
BTW, Cheyenne, where'd you get your beta on this slimy deal?
tyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #6
Boulder, Colorado
There was a thread on slashdot a while back that detailed the scam and how it works
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #7
beware nigerian 419 scam!!!

this is an old scam. i have had it attempted on me several times both on mtnbuzz and ebay. these guys are SCUM!!! NEVER take a check and send back change, huge red flag right there. personally i like to f%@k with them a bit and change up info in emails and attempt to waste their time. google nigerian 419 scam and there is a sweet website that has all the details of these peopel and techniques to mess with these dirt balls and waste their time!! or contact the secret service via their website and it has other tips as well as instructions on reporting these slime!!!
senorlinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #8
Engineering Student
Yeah stay clear of those guys, I have found numerous ebay deals similar to that. I don't how they work, but there is no frickn way they are lagit.
I have found a hand full of guys selling $9000 race mortorcycles on ebay for buyitnow of only like $3000. Whenever you look in to it in ANY detail though, they disappear - surprise!
justinlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #9
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Occasionally there's a screaming deal out there but in general if the deal seems like its too good to be true, there's a catch...

Anytime there's a big $$ deal that someone can't wait for a decision on, there's probably a scam going on.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #10
Hey, check this out, received it yesterday..... same text, different name.... same scam!

Sent : Saturday, August 13, 2005 9:43 AM
Subject : Liquid Logic Pocket Rocket

| | | Inbox

My name is john william.I saw your ad which says it is for sale and i
am verymuch interested in buying it from you.I will like you to email
meback,letting me know if it is still for sale with every important
information ineed to know about it.Thank you and i will be expecting
your reply with the information(please send some pictures too).
Mr john william.

719kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote