Old 05-22-2009   #1
Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Fractions/narrows/house/frog rock

I did this section some years ago but don't remember much about it. I'm bringing a relative newb to paddlefest tom. and am planning on hitting this stretch. The question is...Now that she's gushin pretty good, should I be concerned about anything other than the obvious: random holes, prolonged swim/boat rescue if necessary, house/frog possible portage if not feeling right. Is it just the two rapids that are scoutworthy?? Thanks in advance...

Powderplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #2
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The first quarter of a mile after the railroad bridge put in for fractions dishes out swims to beginners at high water.

tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #3
Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I agree with tellutwurp she will be scared shitless if you start at the railroad bridge right now. I'd recommend doing the shorter run that starts at that pull off from the highway down that little hill with some dead deer. It cuts that first part off and you still get a good hour or hour and half into the playpark.

No need to scout Frog Rock really just stay on river left (there still is a sign out there letting you know about the undercut up ahead). The rock is a pour over now but I'd avoid it staying left at the bottom of this rapid.

I would run House Rock (near the end of the run) almost married to the wall on the right and don't stop paddling through it. The eddy inside that hole will want to pull you back in for sure right now and then is a pain to get out of it. This can be scouted river right if you feel like it. (Big Rock center of river with channels on left and right).

Might also suggest milk run if really a noob - the put in to that at these flows is also not easy for a total noob.
-Chadwick Shoults
Twitter: CUBuffskier
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #4
Indian Hills, Colorado
Chadwick's advice is spot on. RR bridge to (currently known as) dead dear putin (a.k.a.) pulloff on 24 is pretty damn continuous at current flows. It's actually surprisingly entertaining and a nice addition to a numbers voyage. But, for a beginner, swim would suck if swimmer and boat ended up seperated on opposite banks. Put in at the dead dear, float to BV. If the beginner gets overwhelmed early on, escape at the elephant rock putin.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #5
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Ditto what the others say about Railroad Bridge down to Frog Rock.
You can also put in on the River Left side below Frog Rock by driving up the east bank road. As soon as you exit the tunnels, there's a camp area on the left. I've heard that referred to as "Elephant Rock"; anyway, you can get on the river pretty easily from there and avoid Frog.

The rest is a great run at this flow, and as someone who swam House Rock at these flows once back in the day, it's not too bad to swim. Big pool right below it. Easy to fetch people/boats there.
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Awww to be a beginner again. A couple years ago me and my beginner friends all got spanked in the upper part of Fractions 4 off us set off and 3 were swimming within 3 minutes. I realized then that a pool roll and a river roll were 2 different things.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #7
Indian Hills, Colorado
Originally Posted by goldcamp View Post
3 were swimming within 3 minutes
Very similar to my first day on the Ark. Ahhhhh, fond, cold, wet memories.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009   #8
Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Thanks to all responses

Off to bv

Powderplayer is offline   Reply With Quote