Old 03-26-2010   #1
four mile creek below shelf road?

Went to shelf road for the first time this week and thought that fourmile creek, which flows below the shelf, may be a decent time if there is a lot of water. Anyone done it? any Beta? From what I could see it looked like mostly pool drop 3-4's but I couldnt see all, also it seems like there was alot of private land to cross before the takeout.

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #2
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I've fished it A LOT over the fish in there....

As for boating it??? I don't know, I've thought about it....but I don't think it would be worth it. There's only about 3/4 mile that's not bordered by private land. You can take a pretty burly hike to put-in and take-out (you know how steep that canyon is)....or you can sneak through private prop. for decent access (which I wouldn't want to do with a boat...fishin' pole is one thing). If I remember correctly, at the bottom of the public land, there's a barb-wired fence across the creek. Not to mention there are atleast two abandoned/trashed cars in the creek (I seriously doubt they've been removed).

There would be a couple spots that I would expect to be fairly manky...giant boulders, piton-fest.

If you go, let me know....I'd be interested to hear about it.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #3
Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
A boating buddy mentioned this idea to me a few years ago. I didn't scout all of it by any means, but I did take some time to get down to water level for some areas that looked like good rapids from the road. Turns out, it doesn't look as good when you're at creek level, at least not with all the junk and pitons and mank that GoodTimes mentioned. I'm all for fun mank boating, but that didn't look fun. In fairness, I haven't seen it with a lot of water, so it could be better than expected, but I'd be amazed.
CO_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Phantom Canyon might be doable at the right time. Just knowing the time.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #5
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
4 mile

Don't waste your time It only runs during heavy rains ,I think the crew at Raft masters did try.
wild is offline   Reply With Quote