Old 02-10-2005   #1
alta, Utah
Found this on the DEA website

[From the NDIC Narcotics Digest Weekly 2004;3(42):2
Unclassified, Reprinted with Permission.]

Officials from ICE and U.S. Coast Guard Investigative Services (CGIS) report seizing 213 pounds of Canada produced marijuana as well as 444 tablets of MDMA that were concealed in one of the seized packages of marijuana. On June 2, 2004, ICE and CGIS agents seized the 213 pounds of marijuana and arrested three individuals two Canadian citizens and one U.S. citizen on charges of smuggling marijuana from British Colombia, Canada, to the United States. Agents allege that the Canadian suspects used a kayak to transport the marijuana via Semiahmoo Bay to Birch Bay, Washington, where they docked the kayak behind a house located on the bay. The suspects then carried the kayak with the marijuana concealed inside into the house, where they repackaged the marijuana. Agents observed the suspects carrying six boxes from the house to a pickup truck that was parked by the front door and was owned by the third suspect. Agents obtained consent to search the truck and found vacuum sealed packages of marijuana labeled with letters "A" through "K" in the boxes. The packages contained either one resealable plastic bag covered in vacuum sealed bags or what appeared to be two resealable plastic bags vacuum sealed together. On September 27, 2004, ICE agents reweighed the marijuana to determine the appropriate sentence under federal sentencing guidelines. When ICE agents opened the package labeled "E," they discovered a resealable plastic bag containing 444 tablets of MDMA located between two resealable plastic bags containing marijuana. Until the vacuum packaging was removed, the marijuana had obscured the MDMA from view. Agents opened the rest of the packages, but no drugs other than marijuana were found.

NDIC Comment: This seizure is significant because, according to the CGIS, this is the first discovery of contraband concealed within contraband in the Blaine area. While significant amounts of Canadian produced marijuana have been smuggled through and between ports of entry (POEs) located near Blaine for years, more MDMA is now being smuggled through the area. According to the U.S. Bureau of Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the number of MDMA tablets seized at the Blaine POE has increased from 33,813 in 2002 to 41,132 in 2003. Thus far, 108,358 tablets have been seized between January 1, 2004, and July 19, 2004. Powdered MDMA also is being seized at the Blaine POE. According to CBP, a total of 84.00 kilograms of powdered MDMA was seized in 2002, a total of 1.84 kilograms in 2003, and a total of 9.77 kilograms between January 1, 2004, and July 19, 2004.

- - - - - - - - - -

barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #2
pnw, Washington
200+ lbs of weed and some ecstacy, would have been a fun party.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I've driven to go boating in Mexico six times in the last 9 years, and I've almost always been searched at the border coming back. But they never made me pull the kayaks off the roof so the drug dog could search them, which I always wondered about. Not that I would ever risk it, but it I thought, "If someone was inclined to smuggle, that would be one way to do it".

I bet they make me pull them down the next trip south....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #4
mmmmm...nuggets. I always smuggle nugs over the boarder when I go to Mexico. Those bitches see my green plates and my gringo ass and wave me on in. Damn, I can't wait to boat!!
Surfpimp is offline   Reply With Quote