Old 11-10-2003   #11
outdoor bum
I have paddled and played on the creek that @635 and just west of
75 ,very muddy and the play hole is still shallow at flood

My EPIC surfing was at Texarkana (SP?) dam at the base of the release gates. it is posted keepout , but how can you when the waves are 12'0
glass and foam piles.

boulderite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #12

I'm glad you think Fort Worth has good paddleing. It should keep you busy enough to stay in Texas.

dHobyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004   #13
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Pics of the Trinity River Drops

I have pictures I took recently of the drops on the Clear Fork of the Trinity in Fort Worth. They were taken in the day. I had been down the night before with a small generator and two portable halogen lights and paddled it when it was running at 1,500 cfs. The night time play session was definitely much more fun, especially the second drop which had a nice retentive hole. The first drop had a great surf wave dead center with foam pile/holes left and right. The bottom is about 7 feet deep, so it's pretty nice and easy on the skull, but extremely pushy in the center if you would come off the wave.

Email for the pics.....

mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004   #14
After living in Dallas for two years, I can say without a doubt that there is NO elevation drop on any of the rivers that I've seen.. The whole state is flat as pancake. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time even thinking about paddling in Texas. The rivers are polluted, and way skanky, especially the Trinity. In fact, it's more like a stream with garbage along the shores for hundreds of miles. The people in Texas could give two shits about the ecology or cleaning up the mess they've left behind. Pathetic.
surfpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004   #15
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde

Texas is pretty weird at that. I just moved to Durango from Arlington. # yrs down there was enough for me. You could make a fortune in just collecting beer cans for scrap aluminum. They're everywhere, the lakes, the rivers, the highways, parks, etc.

A lot of the paddlers I know down there swear by White Rock Creek (gag) not even with a tetnus shot before and after would I get into that creek. It's nasty. The Clear Frok of the Trinity is a lot better. Still lots of trash shows up after a storm, but the overall water quality is ok (albeit marginally) I took a field test kit down there and tested the water, no heavy metals and fertilizers present in excessive quantities. the Ph was actually well within normal ranges.

All in all.... it beats a blank for texas paddlers ... but it sure is good to be back home in colorado...

mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote