Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-20-2006   #21
pnw, Washington
thanks, appreciate the help. I will have to make the trip out someday with somebody that knows the run.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #22
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I guided and paddled there for two seasons with ACE. Sweet deal back then...out of town guides got the weekend trips only(busy days) because the WV guides wanted to make money by working all four days. So, we could paddle the Upper and Lower all in one day if we wanted as long as we went to the the put-in and blew up boats with the gear truck. Free shuttle and lunch, and that's saying something on the Gauley. I think the ratings are hyped by the rafting companies but some rapids deserve V ratings depending on flow and consequences.

gh - you should go, it is a great time. The commercial scene is heavy during releases and dodging all the hypolon might increase rapid ratings and adventure.

I did a double upper commercial trip and ran the the first leg clean, second leg the guys on my 8 client boat(14' Hyside) were begging to get worked, so I worked 'em. Eddyline flip left of and 50 yds below Iron Ring, dumptruck at Pillow rock, pasted Postage Due at Sweets with swimmers, taco at Taco Bell, flip at Fuzzy Bunny, and a dumptruck at Julie's Juicer. Many fun and safe places to dump people but you don't want to mess around in Insignificant, Lost Paddle, Ship Rock, and other spots.

I saw the Upper at about 300 CFS and there is some nasty stuff in there. Especially impressed and scared of the left side of Ship Rock. We could see through a cave but not air all the way, it looked like illuminated water on far end. But it was dark and we didn't have the best vantage point.

We encountered three copperheads at a lower campspot below Hell Hole. Oh, and last note is that the hike up Panther Creek is brutal and slippery.

TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #23
why run the gauley?

maybe cause it is fucking classic?
the upper g, especially taking out at mason's, instead of buttlick, is freaking awesome! i don't know if i'd call it the most fun on the east coast, but it is really fun.

having guided in wv for a few seasons, the social aspect makes it for me. i was there for 4 days and saw about 100 people i know from wv, colorado, washington, etc... many of whom i won't see til next gauley.
imho, skip the fest. unless you like drunken buckeye douche club boaters.

intersting to see people's responses. i think rapids should be downgraded when technique and technology has advanced enough to make rapids easier. i'm also into milo's system. AW rating system is just to simple to cover all the nuances of the many types of rivers. Gauley is mostly III++ with some IV++ at normal release.

if i'd known it was gonna be that kinda party...
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote

class v