Old 02-07-2008   #11
pnw, Washington
We also try to have clinics and events that make it worthwhile to be in the club that you cant get anywhere else.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #12
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Colorado Whitewater seems to be very much the equivalent to your club. I have been involved for only about a year but have been very active. It seems to work much the way benpetri has described the mines club only on a longer and larger scale with about the same retention rates. Every year training camp attracts 100 or so newbies and they take cheap classes by certified instructors and the club invests a year or two into those newbies and at the end of the incubation period the club offers to pay for some level of more advanced training/certification. There are various levels of certification ranging from basic CPR to SWR to instructor training. For each certification class there is a commitment to do a certain amout of volunteer work for the club. This seems to be mutually beneficial and seems to work well to create a group of people that willing to teach newbies and lead class III cruises. As I understand it there seems to be a talent drain of the more advanced boaters over the last 10 years or so and the club has developed more into a class III club. There has been a few discussions about why CW is no longer attracting and retaining class IV and V boaters. The general consensus is that with the advent of the internet and websites like the Buzz that is now much easier to contact like minded boaters on here once you are past the newbie stages (not bitching just a comment). So we seem to be lacking in people that are qualified and willing to teach and lead class IV and V boaters. There is something a group of us is trying to jump start class IV and V a bit more this year but we will see how that goes...

Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #13
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1992
The Prez weighs in

Craig, I thought you WERE a member. I'd better check the membership list.

But what C-dub alludes to is true and I've found a lot of resonance in the responses on this thread. The Utah Whitewater Club has been in a slump for a few years but is currently focusing on building the base of Utah boaters through the Beginner Program that we started last year. This year things should be a bit more structured, organized, and, hopefully, effective. I'm hoping we can get people into the sport and then they can branch out into groups like C-Dubs crew or find their own niche. The club has always had a strong affiliation with river advocacy in Utah but I'm trying to steer it more in the direction of building the recreational boating numbers in hopes that that will increase the number of people who will pay attention to issues of river access and free flowing river preservation. It's true - it is work.

Anyway, thanks to C-dub for initiating the conversation. I look forward to reading more responses.

gskayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #14
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
Eloquent as always.
God Bless SKA Brewery-Sturgeon General
C-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #15
pnw, Washington
In your efforts to get organized I would suggest that you get a club forum. There are several different ways to go about setting this up but it keeps our club organized and moving forward without having meetings. It doesnt take long for meetings to make your hobby feel like a job.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote