Mountain Buzz banner

Footage of Class V in Colorado

Tags
class v
4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  kayakArkansas 
G
#1 ·
Alright all you dirt bags that would love to go down in immortality. I am accepting all footage that you would not mind being put in the first Colorado Creek Video Guide. There will probably not be much in the way of video credits but this is to help people realize what they are stepping on before they commit this year. It will be high water up north so I am putting out a video and it will feature High Water northern Colorado levels that I have been filming for the past 3 years.

If you are interested please mail a copy of your footage in the highest quality possible on a mini dv tape by United States Postal Service (along with your hate mail for my George Bush and his administration bashing comments before they got censored, still got love for Frenchy and the Streets):

To:

Nick Hinds
Off The Couch Productions
PO Box 772565
Steamboat Springs, CO 80477

Or certified or tracked Fed-Ex or UPS if you are worried about them getting lost by our postal workers.

To:

Paddler Magazine
Attn: Nick Hinds
735 Oak St.
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487

Thanks guys and gals, this should come out to have great new unheard of music and some serious carnage and clean lines with high water descents of:

Big South
Escalante Creek
The Embudo
The Upper Elk
Upper and Lower Fish Creek
Gore Canyon
Oh-Be (sorry I know it is way overdone)
Poudre Narrows
Spencer Heights
King Solomon Creek First Decent
2nd Gorge of Lime
Yule Creek

Destination sections:

Mexico (San Luis Ptosi area, Micos section of the Santa Maria, Rio Salto, and Rio Verde)
Costa Rica (upper Rio Orosi, Upper Rio Pacuare, and el Rio Patria)
Idaho (Mesa Falls, Spring Falls, and Auger Falls)
Tennessee (Rock Island waterfalls, Brave Wave)
North Carolina (Cascades of the Nantahala, Hurricane Francis at Cape Hateras)
West Virginia (Dries of the New)

P.S. This is not going to be some Nick Hinds Glory Video, so make sure you include the boaters names on a sheet of paper and if you would like your name and address so I can mail them back and mail you a free copy of the movie once it is printed. Also a phone number would be nice so I can contact you if any of the return mail gets returned or if I need some more information on a boater's name in a particular drop.

See less See more
G
#3 ·
I am currently building a website that will have a photo gallery guide to the entire state and you will be able to purchase the video there in about 2-3 weeks. Stay tuned and I will post again.

Thanks,

Nick Hinds

#4 ·
Sounds awesome Nick. I have a some footy from OBJ two years ago and a whole lot from the Cascades and Green Narrows if you're interested (including some jackings at Chinese Feet and Gorilla). The only thing is that they are not on DV, they were captured onto DVD from tape. Not sure if that would kill the usefulness or not. Let me know what you think.

Steve

G
#6 ·
Yes I am selling it. I spent $1,500 on a computer to edit it, $900 to buy a GL-1 from John Brennan (which I had to repair for $450 a month later) used it for a year and then it died from water damage a year later (Canon told me it would be $1,600 to repair it). Also, the software to edit it and the software to do the DVD authoring is pretty damn expensive.

It will also cost me a pretty penny to get them printed so that they will work in PC and Mac computers and all DVD players.

That is the long version but, in short, I am in the freaking hole real deep. If you don't mind me putting a clip or two I would love to see peoples footage. But, if you would not like to see me profit off your footage or are not OK with me trying to recoup the $4,000 that I am in debt, no worries. I already have enough footage but just want some icing on the cake.

Thanks a bunch everyone!

Nick

G
#9 ·
This is the same footage but I have gotten some help from my friends who actually know how to edit and give me really excellent advise.

It will be organized by region, drainage, and creek, This will be a supplement that follows the CRC book. I am hoping to invest whatever small amounts of money I make into buying a very expensive an nice camera to film this year and document some new things around the area.

This new video will not be titled Routt County Creekers as my last one was, still trying to decide on a name. I will be doing video premiers and selling the film at every event around Colorado but will let everyone know when it is up and running on the website too.

It will have some comentary from experienced boaters on the characteristic of the river, then show the most difficult drops. This is not a real DVD river guide in the sense that I will not show put ins, take outs, and that sort of thing. There will not even be a shot of every consequential drop, but many will be shown and some of the edge will be taken off since you will be able to see clean lines and some dirty lines on some of the hardest runs in Colorado. It is not all 6- / 5+ like say Twitch V, there is actually a focus on things that sane people would consider running but it will have some serious drops too. There will be a minimal amont of playboating but some features will be profiled.

Thats all I have to say about that for the moment. Still being edited so the plan may change. Does everyone feel this could be a helpful tool for the boater who is a solid class V boater and is feeling intimidated by certain runs? Might even help out the aspiring class 4+ boater too?

G
#10 ·
Wigston,

Your ass ain't staying at my house tonight either then! Hope we get some more snow, cause I guess Cross Mountain Gorge is still pretty freaking iced in. Bring your board not your boat.

#12 ·
2 cents

I've seen a recent cut of this movie and I'm very impressed. It is suprisingly well done for someone who lives in Steamboat. There has been some time spent on makin' it look great.

There are a select few that can run the shit that is in the main-stream videos, not to say that this video is tame. But there is another niche market out there that likes seeing runs that they've seen or ran or heard of in the vid. Plus with the local appeal in that if you've boated long enough in Colorado you've seen/know somebody in this video.

It's like the starbucks phenomonn. onn om. . . A lot of local coffe shops that can match/beat the quality of the product make a lot of money by locating next to a mainstream business and out perfoming the norm. This video looks as good as the mainstream but has the local flavor.

Final plug. . . real good and I can't wait to drink booze and mingle at the premier.

Nick you suck at snowboarding.

G
#14 ·
I really did not mean to jump on you Ben specifically with that question. Someone just yesterday was busting one of my friend’s balls for using a clip and not getting approval first. He was basically angry that someone did not check with him before using it in a video that was sold. This seems to be a point of contention with some people and I understand it and see it around sometimes. What I was getting at is, if anyone (not specifically Mr. BG) is not interested in seeing their footage used or would rather put out a movie sometday themselves and don't want their footage devalued by the exposure it may get in my movie, understand where I am coming from.

My quick knee jerk reaction was more based on being jaded by the person who sold me a camera (which I was warned about being possibly messed up by Jared Johnson) that broke down a month later. I even asked the seller directly if the camera was messed up. I am not blaming John and do realize using cameras around water is really very dangerous to your wallet. Just purchased a WPI Pentax waterproof digital cause I have soaked my SLR 2 different times, once in Costa Rica and once in Mexico.

So my apologies, it was not directed at your comment and I was just taking a preemptive strike against all you haters out there. One of my close friends indicated that my reply seemed pretty darn harsh and after reading it, I guess it was (but not directed at anyone in particular). Probably a bad sign that I am already jaded but sitting in front of the computer is not the fun part. Traveling around CO every summer and boating with my best friends is what makes it all worth while. Buying a new camera to record this again this summer is my top priority. Selling movies is the means!

Can't wait for the season!

#15 ·
Hey:

My question wasn't pertaining to possibly selling you footage, and I never took it offensively an any perspective. I was more curious on the projected plan of the vid.... NO worries on my end. I know how it is to buy a bunch of stuff geared up for kayaking vids, trust me. I think I wrote off about 6K in equipment as well last year....I have a lot of CO footy, some good some bad, more or less around the Gwood area, (Crystal Gorge, Barrel, Upper Roaring Fork) but I have a few more obligations right now with my vid, (not that footage), but more or less, a lot of stuff on my table where my time is unbelievably limited right now!..... Plus all my tapes aren't where im at right now, but if they were I could send you some dupes....But most the footage is from a while ago, and not very good Quality (1chip). I think this is going to be an awesome project, and If I came off in a way that I would "sell" you footage, I didn't mean to. I would sell footage, but not for a project like this where its hard enough to make a dollar anyways! Especially with the homeboys in CO.

I Can't wait to see the finished project. Getting the Rough DVD of our vid project burned today or tomorrow..... Talk about a learning experience, but a good one for sure!

Good luck with it~

Maybe I can do a playboating in CO haha...
Ben

#16 ·
I'm sure it's very common but I have great shot of stupid falls being ran at lower water levels if it will be of help let me know....also if you need some video of the Arkansas Drainage then I can put you in contact with some folks who have been working/videoing there for years. Just my two cents, probablly not helpfull but let me know if it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.