Old 05-16-2013   #1
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
FoCo roll practice outside of pool?

Now that the pool is closed for roll sessions in Fort Collins, where is the best place (outdoors, free) to practice rolls? Should I just head to the river?

I don't have any kayaking buddies and want to start meeting up with people to paddle various sections of the poudre with my newly acquired gear. I am pretty comfortable up to class III but in the past usually swam when I tipped. I'd like to get a solid roll down before paddling with others as I don't think it would be fair to make them deal with my wet exits all the time. Especially if I'm joining another group of solid paddlers. What is my best bet for getting some practice in?

mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #2
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
McMurry ponds are a great area and it even has a boat launch. There are rarely people in it and it's also a pretty area. The dirt road that takes you to it is located off of North College.

Here is a google map showing the McMurry ponds. Hemlock street should take you to a parking lot after a short drive down a dirt road. You drive across some train tracks. Once you are in the parking lot shoulder your boat a short walk to the pond. The trail to the pond forks, take a right, about 300 feet down is the gravel boat launch.

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Lakes and eddies on easy runs and playparks..for FC obviously Filter Plant...Bear Hole in Lyons is very beginner friendly and you can run the lower II may meet other boaters there too..don 't overlook CLP in /near town. scout out a mellow section where you won 't lose a boat if you can 't roll,may not be a good run but could offer good. convenient practice for you...get a buddy at your level and just boat a lot of skill appropriate stuff that will be the most fun..
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #4
Lakewood, Colorado
Cool. Maybe I'll check out the pond thanks. But I guess I'll just go get out, and in the slow/easy parts let whoever I am with know to be ready if I can't get back around.
Old 05-17-2013   #5
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
FoCo Paddling Groups

A few other options, the Poudre Paddlers are a great bunch, membership is $10. Many seasoned paddlers here who lead groups down filter plant and bridges regularly, usually at a nice and easy pace They also offer clinics/classes.. There is a group trip tomorrow morning on the St. Vrain, Apple Valley class II, message me if interested or go here: Poudre Paddlers Canoe and Kayak Club of Colorado

Also, there is a FoCo Kayaking facebook group for all levels, to find others to paddle with:

vuvuDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #6
Lakewood, Colorado
Sweet man thanks. I'm busy tomorrow, but I'm definitely in for the Filter Plant if they run that the 23rd, and maybe even bridges the 30th if all goes well the first trip. I don't care about swimming with my buddies and making them wait/rescue my boat, but I really don't want to with strangers! lol

Hopefully lots of practice my first filter plant float should be good.
Old 05-17-2013   #7
Flagstaff, Arizona
Go to the put in's of easy sections of river and wait for other kayakers to come then see if you can join... Make sure to bring beer and wear your booties... They will help you learn to roll quick... which brings me to my next point if you havnt been drinking your booty beers you will never learn how to roll...

JuanRios is offline   Reply With Quote