Old 08-01-2009   #1
Ft Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
foco play park?

this is probably a soar subject but what ever happened to the fort collins play park? i understand that new belgum put up money for it and there is a diversion dam it would be cool...

this was probably talked about years ago...i just finally joined the electronic age last im sorry ok

how can the city be pressured into doing something with it?

i heard stuff about flow studies costing 100000 so the city backed out

what about giving some local kayakers a trakhoe in the river for the winter?

obviously they would want there operator...this does not need a 100000 dollar flow study...lets face it, locals know how it flows and if we are wrong all we need is the trakhoe for a little time the next winter to try to nail it...i feel fusterated by this lack of support from the community...

anyone else know more about this?

anyone else like to go to the city council and beat these people with your paddle?

NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I think the project lost its steam when Glade Park reservoir looked imminent and that the Poudre won't have any water in town in the near future.... DAM!...

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #3
So I just recently took over as the lead on this project from Matt Evans who formerly owned the Mountain Shop. I met with the City Parks departmant last week and got briefed on what the current status is, the previous money raised (which is all still there), the players involved, and the complexity of it, EPA, Recreationalist vs Environmentalists, location challenges, flow issues....etc... I also got two huge boxes full of plans, and files.

In a nut shell, Dave is kind of right. The project is waiting to get some direction based on NISP. The outcome will have a direct result on instream flows through town, which will have a direct result on what type adn where the features are built.. The project is certainly not dead, but 2009 is not a reality. I will work to make it happen in 2010.

Stay tuned...
JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #4
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Oh man what I would do for a playpark in foco.. you dont wanna know
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #5
3, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Petition numbers speak VOLUMES to politicians guys need to demonstrate to the city just how popular those elected officials would be by putting in a kayak play park.
Step one: petitions, demonstrate the "strength in numbers" especially if those are VOTERS!
Pardon the pun but this would speak VOLUMES to the people that make decisions.
Scotty V.
Scottsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
JJ. I'd love to help. Send me a PM on what I can do to help.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #7
Likes it wet.
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006
I'm In...

I'd love to be part of the effort. Send me a PM as well, and I'll get to work!
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #8
Ft Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
im in...drop me an email of what i could real is 2010 really...2011 or 12 might be more realistic...but lets get the wheels turning...
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #9
Fort Collins, Colorado
JJ is there any data you could submit to the Army Corps for the Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement dealing with the Play park? As the park would have great economic, recreational, and even environmental (fish habitat) benefits, this would be an important thing to include. Maybe a comparison study of a play park with a similar flow regime (Pre & post glade) and similar user base. I am willing to help with this, send me an email:
jmetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #10
Looks like we have a nice little steering committee forming. Evan and I have been formulating some good plans lately to use the internets to really push this through. He is going to setup a google groups account or something for this.
I am out of town this week and Evan next week, so how about everyone pull together some data or ideas, jot them down and in late August early September we can have a meeting, sort through the gigantic piles of files I have and figure out how we are going to make this happen.

I will get around to PM everyone later in the week. I got some drinking and bbqs to attend to today.

JJH is offline   Reply With Quote