Old 08-10-2009   #21
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
This could be quite awesome. Is there any kind of petition that I could sign, or do I have to go to the trouble of actually writing a letter to the bocc to show my support?

leif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009   #22
Ft Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
hows the laport idea coming along...need any help???how is this gonna be financed...goco...

NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009   #23
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by JJH View Post
Looks like we have a nice little steering committee forming. Evan and I have been formulating some good plans lately to use the internets to really push this through. He is going to setup a google groups account or something for this.
I am out of town this week and Evan next week, so how about everyone pull together some data or ideas, jot them down and in late August early September we can have a meeting, sort through the gigantic piles of files I have and figure out how we are going to make this happen.

I will get around to PM everyone later in the week. I got some drinking and bbqs to attend to today.

I wanted to see if a google group was started and how I can get on it. I would like to get to know more history and how I can contribute.
SuperCriticalFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009   #24
LaPorte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Can we develop meaningful community support for a play wave in LaPorte?

I sent this email to Frenchy who said he might be able to help if he has time, or if someone else could ...?

I have floated a conceptual proposal for a play wave (or two), enhanced fish habitat and a business loop to the bike trail through LaPorte. I have shown it to one of our county commissioners, who thought it looked like a good idea. Matt has shared with me some of the potential obstacles and costs of this idea, and I am looking for novel ways to push it forward, i.e. something different than raising lots of money and paying privately for all the work.

I was wondering if someone could code up a webpage where people could demonstrate their support of one or more aspects of the proposal in a couple of ways.

What I had in mind was a page with:
1. A brief description of the two parts of the proposal (play wave/bike path), so people know more about what we have in mind.
2. A list of contact emails for county commissioners and people in the Departments of Open Space and Transportation ( i.e. choose by clicking or enter which ever is appropriate to the comments being made).
3. Then possibly text boxes with pre-drafted text that could be edited by individuals -
a. One for expressing support for a play wave with enhanced fish habitat, the LaPorte Business Loop Trail, or both. This is to show them how "wanted" the projects are.
b. And a place to indicate how the sender might be willing to support one, either or both projects. That is, what they might be willing to contribute to make it happen (and somewhere I'd like to make some suggestions to trigger ideas around this - e.g. money, rocks or other materials, expertise in design, expertise in surveying or permit application, time gathering signatures of support (if needed), communicating with media, negotiating with land owners, etc.) The intent of this would be to show how the community supports the project in a way that could meaningfully reduce the costs to the county should they take on the project.
4. One of those security thingos to confirm real person emails
5. A way of collecting copies of all these correspondences so that we have them on file.

We could use my site to post the page. What do you think? I'd love to post the link on mountain buzz, and publicise it in other ways to show the county commissioners just how much support there would be for such a project, and then have them undertake it with community support.
mandyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009   #25
Ft Fun, Colorado
ill be there for you for probly the wrong person to write your proposal but ill put my time in anyway i can...just tell me what and when you want to do something and ill be there...i want to do my part as does everyone else who has replied...this could be awesome...
Old 09-06-2009   #26
Ft Fun, Colorado
just bringging this thread back to the surface...any news on the foco or laport play waves
Old 09-08-2009   #27
LaPorte, Colorado
Nothing yet - Steve Johnson, County commissioner forwarded my proposal to some departments within the County and I have heard nothing - been too busy to follow up - must do that.
Old 09-30-2009   #28
LaPorte, Colorado
Just an update on the possibility of a play wave in LaPorte. Yesterday I met with Gary Buffingtom from Larimer County Parks and Rec. He was enthusiastic about the idea, especially if we can demonstrate community support. I don't want to hit the kayaking community until the timing is right. He wants to take it to several relevant committees, and like the idea of combining it with fishing enhancements (such as pools and access - possibly even disabled access via a ramp).

It would be idea if we could find people willing to donate their services - design, construction, materials, etc. and have the County take care of the administrative aspects.

I think we have a really good shot at making a go of this.
Old 09-30-2009   #29
Paddling Since: 1993
Given the resistance we have encountered from the City of Fort Collins for the past 12-plus years now, I think looking to Laporte is a good idea. When contrasted with the current proposed play park location in Fort Collins, a Laporte play park would likely offer an increased bed slope and discharge to facilitate a more successful design. As you are probably well-aware, the current proposed Fort Collins location is downstream of College Avenue and immediately downstream of a flood energy dissipation structure built approximately ten years ago that eats up the elevation head in that section of channel. As a result, a play feature with adequate velocity would be difficult to create downstream of College Avenue whereas it would be much easier to attain in Laporte. Also of note, due to the over-allocation of water from the Poudre River, the discharge of the Poudre River at College Avenue is a fraction of the flow in the Poudre Canyon. In Laporte, there is one less irrigation canal diverting water. This would mean higher flows at Laporte, which equates to a longer season and higher peaks. Finally, we could possibly pool the talents of the local boating community to pull the project off at a greatly reduced price. If the Town of Laporte is willing to let individuals donate expertise, then I would be more than willing to give hydraulic advice, as well as my experience with 404 permitting.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #30
Ft Fun, Colorado
i want to be there..keep us posted..let us know what we can do