Old 11-06-2014   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Flying with one-piece paddle?

I'm going to Ecuador in a couple weeks and am debating whether or not to attempt to bring my Kayak. Seems like the $200 fee + pain in the ass of carrying it around may not be worth it. But it occurs to me I still might be charged the oversize fee for my paddle - it's over the 62" limit. Anyone have experiences to share? And how did you pack your paddle? Seems like all the stories online are for 2-piece paddles...

tmcdevit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #2
Jenks, Oklahoma
Been a few years since I did my annual trip to Ecuador. What I did was buy a ski bag with a big ski logo that my paddle fit in.

Would load up as much of my soft gear as I could stuff inside and never got questioned.

Don't know if that will still work or not.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #3
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I went from Colorado to wv rented a boat was going to put my paddle in a ski bag.
called the airline ahead of time and they said under 50 and length. They wanted 200 for a paddle, so I just found one when I got there from some locals.
harper80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #4
Jenks, Oklahoma
Yup, afraid that the easy going airline rules of a few years back might have changed.

I would call ahead and make sure the outfitter in Ecuador had paddles to rent, not much rental gear in the Baeza area, might be more in Tena.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
ski bag has always worked for me.
NYourd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
use a ski bag and pack some clothes around the blades to protect them. I got charged oversize on the way to Chile but didn't on the way back.
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #7
Pleasant Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Just a heads up, the breakdowns are typically not allowed on your carry on. Lendal and Werner make great breakdowns which can comfortably be used as a primary.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #8
I am in Ecuador now. Flew in last night with 6 paddles bundled together with cardboard taped around the blades.
I checked them outside on the curb with a tip up front to the porter and no questions asked.

International flights usually have 1 free checked bag.

I also brought down a huge bag of skirts helmets and pfds to donate. No questions asked from customs. Consider leaving stuff behind when you go back to the land of plenty.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #9
Placerville, California
Paddling Since: 2010
I've been to Chile twice, Costa Rica once, and Canada six or seven times traveling with a paddle and I've never been charged more than a regular checked bag fee. I checked them as skis (in the NRS paddle bag) since skis are generally not subject to oversize baggage charges. Maybe I've always been lucky that no one has ever questioned why I ski in places that have no snow, but that's been my experience...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
kirbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014   #10
Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
I think it might be more trouble than it is worth to take a kayak with you. Are you going to rent a car, or are you getting around using taxis and buses?

hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote