Old 04-01-2007   #1
Flying with a boat to New Zealand?

i'm flying to New Zealand in July and want to take a creek boat with me. i was wondering if anyone knew if Air New Zealand allows creek boats or what other airline might? also, would a boat bag be required?
thanks, alex

akilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I doubt you'll be able to fly a creeker internationally, and even if you can, you're not going to get it out of Auckland. The hops w/in NZ are all on little commercial planes, and there's no way you'll get a creekboat on 'em. Rent one when you're there, or buy a 2nd from the bliss stick factory and resell it before you leave (if you're there for long enough).

craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007   #3
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I don't know if things have changed, but I flew with a Riot Disco in 2002 on the way back from NZ on United and Air New Zealand with no problems. No bag required either, just seal the cockpit with cardboard. They didn't even charge me for the boat until I arrived in our fair country at which point I had a serious negotiating session with United ($75 charge to fly it from LA to Hartford). Also, I am pretty sure that some flights from Auckland to Christchurch are on larger jets. My general impression was that the kiwis were much more willing to work with you than their American counterparts. I am sure this wouldn't be the first creeker that has been taken on a plane to the S. Island.

But, if you don't want a hassle, you can usually find a creeker for cheap once in country.
"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007   #4
I flew directly to Christchurch from LAX on Air New Zealand with a Hefe. Here's the deal. I tried and tried to get them to tell me it would be OK on the phone beforhand. When I finaly got an answer out of them it was no. This must have all been for liability, because when I got to the the airport there was no problem what so ever. They never looked twice at it. Didn't charge me the $70 either. They did however leave it in LA and it took 2 days to get to me. This was a major pain in the ass, but they were willing to fly it out to the west coast so I didn't hold the crew up.

FYI, Kiwis have a shortage of forien boats and they cost an ass ton of $$$ down there. They especially have a taste for LL boats. I sold my Hefe for $1000 after a month of abuse and the guy acted like I was doing him a huge favor. The rest of my crew all sold their well used Hucks and Gusses for around $900. My advise is to take as much equipment as possible and sell it. May finance some of your trip.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote