Old 04-19-2008   #1
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Flying into Indian Creek

Hey, So how much does it cost to fly into Indian Creek. Is it by person, or gear, or both. Can a group of 9 go together, how does is all work. Where do you fly from. Thanks a bunch. So I want to take my 16ft cat, so go light, and the first two days will be a bit tricky right? Thanks yall
Robbie Waterman

rewaterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #2
Boulder, Colorado
When are you going? you can do the upper part very low it just takes longer.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I don't know many details about flying in, but the planes are small, liike otters and cessnas. Common practice is to float light boats in and meet freight and a few more peeps at Indian Ck.

If "Carvedog" doesn't pipe in, you could pm him. He's done the river more than anyone I know.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #4
D'ango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Indian Creek group plane

When launching there summer '01, we saw a dumpbelly twin prop land, plenty of room for gear & people. That would probably be cheapest to split as a group. Flows were pretty low, but the river rangers (we were doing invasive weeds survey for F.S.) had no problems with loaded down 14 footers for passengers, & companies were taking the giant J-rigs down, so 16 ft cat no problem. Didn't do the upper part, got picked up @ I.C. *With the burns last year, there will surely be new slides creating new features, talk with the North Fork District rangers to get up to date info.
Bornwithatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #5
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
I don't know anything about the flight because I've only done it when there was enough water to launch at Boundary Creek, but as far as the first two days, you shouldn't have any problem. There should be plenty of water and its fairly mellow.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
You should call/ reserve with Salmon Air out of Salmon, ID or McCall Aviation out of McCall or Salmon for their current pricing. Last time it was ~$375 for a Cessna 206 per load. A 206 is about 2 adults and reasonable rafting gear for 1 boat...~1100lbs total payload(which includes passenger weights). The larger Islander they both run will better suit a group your size with a couple trips. I forget the payload but it was about $575 per load.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #7
SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
There's no reason not to run the upper section if you stay light. You'll figure out how to play the bounce off rocks and sometimes you'll have to give the boat a push. A lightly loaded big boat will draft less than a small, loaded boat. I've run it below 1.6 and sweep boats still run it at that level. If you want to fly in gear to stay light consider flying down some dry boxes/coolers. Mice will get in your food if its packed in cardboard. Put beer/drinks in cardboard boxes for some added protection; the gear is handled a little rough. Fly down some extra ice too - you'll not regret it.

kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote