Old 05-11-2012   #1
Salt Lake City, Utah
Flying B Ranch, Middle Fork Salmon

Has anyone stayed overnight and dined at the Flying B Ranch? I have always stopped for beer and ice cream and am considering spending a night there. Is it possible to hike there from Sheep Creek Camp or any other assigned camp?
How was the food? Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

caoslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #2
Jenks, Oklahoma
I was on a MFS trip a few years back and we did our layover day at Flying B.

Not cheap but man was it one heck of a comfortable deal.

We got there the evening before and camped in the open field but ate dinner in their food service area and hit the hot showers. Which made the layover day a full day and night. They cooked breakfast for us on departure morning and it was super easy when we got back on the river after the "vacation within a vacation" time at the ranch.

Cabins are neat. Front porches were ideal places to visit and have a few cool drinks from the store.

The main meeting room has great facilities for taking it easy with a bar area, piano area, plenty of sofa's and easy chairs.

Food was excellent and plenty of it. At that time food was included in the per day rate and it is all served family style all you can eat.

Plenty to do if you want to take horse back rides, they set that up.

I have had a bunch of super lay over days on the middle fork, this was the best.

Great way to break up the time on the river, making and breaking camp and gives every one a time to enjoy the showers and not do food prep. And, you deduct the food the trip has to carry, cook, clean up for which makes the cost a bit easier on the pocket book.

Do it if you can!

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #3
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I was curious too. Lots of lodges along the Rogue with people staying and eating at the lodges only on a three night trip. This is for the Middle Fork Flying B.

Rafter Lodging | Flying Resort Ranches
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #4
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I haven't done that one, but we stayed at a lodge on the Main a couple of years ago. Can't wait for the Rogue lodge to lodge trip next month--4 nights including the put in night. Kinda pricey, but worth it.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #5
Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks for the info Okie, one does not come upon a Middle Fork permit everyday, sounds like I might have to do this one in style.
caoslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #6
Jenks, Oklahoma
Yup, The Flying B just makes a special trip even more special.

If you do get lucky, contact the B as early as you can just to be sure they can handle your group at the time you are there. The B is a private club but handles a lot of outside events. They are pretty busy especially in the hunting and fishing seasons.

The Flying B management folks I have talked to are really nice to deal with.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #7
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The Flying B is nice spot to stay the night. On a blast and cast trip fall run we stayed overnight in couple of their cabins. $150 per person per night and it included dinner, breakfast, and a packed lunch (left-overs from dinner) to take with us. Hot showers and nice beds. We repaired two rafts the next morning while half the group was hunting chukar in the surrounding foothills.

In checking their websites it looks like prices haven't changed in the last 7+ years. Everyone in the group were between the ages of 45-55 except for me. I was in my late 20's and thought the cabin/meals/shower weren't worth doubling the cost of the float trip per person. Everyone else in the group thought the beds and showers alone were worth every penny.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It does sound nice, but There are showers and stores at home. When I'm on the MF it is for more of a wilderness feel. It feels weird just walking through that gate and into the store. I think I'd rather run Haystack and camp below even if it were free. Well maybe I'd stay if it were free, but wouldn't even consider dropping $300/ couple for meals, bed, and showers.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote