Old 08-28-2013   #1
Send a message via AIM to DesertBoater
Flying a Boat to Nepal

I'm headed to Nepal this September for almost three months and will be needing to bring my own boat (Nomad). Does anyone have any suggestions on a particular airline to use/avoid? I've asked about trying to find a boat over there, but from what I've heard it's exceptionally hard, and renting for that period of time is out of the question (I'll be paddling hopefully almost every day). Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

DesertBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Do some internet searching and you'll find lots of good info on the subject. It's a pain in the ass and usually stressful.

I'll add one tip though that I think helped, maybe saved us last year (United). First of all, you'll likely need to call it something other than a kayak (i.e. waveski) and wrap it up carefully to pass it off as such. Secondly, whatever airline you use, you should read their policy very carefully, print it out and bring it with you, and know the dimensions and weight limits for what you've decided to call your kayak on the given type of airplane you're flying.

Lastly, my main suggestion, is we had someone call prior to departure and have a note attached to our reservations that said we're bringing waveskis with such and such dimensions and that it's permitted under airline regulations. We were getting some blow back when we first arrived at the counter, but once our reservations were pulled up with the attached note, everything went smoothly. I think a lot of the time the person at the counter simply doesn't want to be responsible for the thing and the note transfers responsibility to someone else. Good luck.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #3
Louisville, Colorado
We once took a raft (and all the trappings) to Alaska and back. We became "Known Shippers", which is filling out a form with your physical address and having it verified, to accomplish this. I believe each airline or air cargo service has it's own form. The raft was sent by air 2 weeks ahead of our departure to ensure it was there when we arrived, and was only a couple days behind us on our return. The air freight route may be a less expensive, easier, and more secure option if you have someone at the other end.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #4
Dallas, Texas
Paddling Since: 2007
Farpastgone spent some time over there a year or so ago. He told me they lost his boat in transit for a week and it cost around 350.00 to fly it. He then sold before returning.

You might PM, he would be a great contact for betta. His name is Matt. Might take him a few to get back since he's out in the PNW sticks.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote