Old 06-12-2011   #1
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1996
Fluid Element Slays Big Sur

Well all,

I was lucky enough to hit Big Sur on Friday and Saturday with a buddy of mine, somthing I have been dreaming about for about 15 Years. I know there has been lots of down playing of this wave but honestly, in my opinion it totally rocked. We saw flows of 27000 to 29000 and the higher it got the better it is. That being said I was in my Fluid Element Surf Kayak and it seemed that it was the perfect boat for the wave hands down.

There were some awesome old schoolers with long boats out there and though they could surf farther out on to the Glass than the Element their rides were pretty much straight forward surfing (for like 30 minutes) with little carve or dynamic. On the other hand, the play boats of which there were many with some amazing paddlers ripping in them- these boats, even the ones that are considered fast by todays standards, mostly hung out in the pile area and although there was some great bounce with sizable blunts and back pan ams there wasn't much full on Surfing as the wave was not steep enough for normal play boats.

The Element toatally Slayed Big Sur. It had the speed for the glass, the carve and loosness to do big high speed moves. Things like 720 clean spins off the shoulders on the glass and carves that sprayed 10 feet accross the wave, Pure fun. Big Sur may be have lost some of its alure for modern play boaters but if surfing is your passion like it is for me, and you have a Surf Kayak (or somthing simular) I have to say Big Sur is one of the best River Waves (if not the best) I have ever sliced up. I will try and post some pics soon of what could be the new norm for a Wave Like Big Sur.

Either which way it was an amazing wave, amazing people and totally worth the drive from NM. I seek out big river waves all year round, and usually head to the coast a couple of times a year, So a treat like Big Sur is an amazingly speacial and should not be overlooked.

biegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #2
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1996
Hey all, if you see this I put some pics up int he photo area, enjoy.
biegm is offline   Reply With Quote