Old 05-30-2016   #1
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Flows for the Upper Eagle Dowd Chute

To gauge the flow through Dowd Chute is it accurate to combine the Minturn gauge which looks like it is close to the put-in off Tigawon road and add it to the Gore creek gauge at the confluence with the Eagle to estimate the cfs? Is there a gauge for the Eagle below Minturn and above the confluence with Gore Cr. that would include the few side creeks coming in below Tigawon Rd?

Grand Junction, CO.
Ty Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Best way to estimate Dowd (in my opinion) is to look at Eagle at Minturn and combine with Gore Creek at mouth. Then look at Eagle River below waste water treatment plant (Edwards). I usually figure it's somewhere between the 2. For example, right now the Minturn and Gore creek gauges together make a little over 1000, and you have 1300 at Edwards..... so probably about 1100-1200 in Dowd.

GARNAís mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016   #3
Tim Kennedy
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Eagle @ Avon gauge

I use the Eagle River Blw Wastewater Treatment Plant in Avon as a good reference for flow in the section from Dowd Chute to Avon. This is pretty close to the amount of H2O you'll have in Dowd Chute rapid. There are only a few minor tributaries that come in between Gore Cr/Eagle confluence and the location of this gauge (Stone Cr, Traer Cr, Beaver Creek) that usually add up to less than a 100 cfs. So, for the Eagle above Gore Creek, but below Gilman (Minturn town run and S-Turns) , I would subtract the Gore Cr at mouth flow from the Eagle at Avon flow.

Tim Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016   #4
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
There is a painted guage on the Minturn side of the utility piling at the top of the chute. It's in feet. I think 6 or 7 feet is "Red"level. 8+feet will leave your pooper tight! At about 12 feet it's just a zoom flume with boulders and rocks rolling and bouncing around in the mix with you. FYI.
Mtnman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #5
Tim Kennedy
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Top of the old Dowd Chute "stick gauge" is 9', located on the river right pylon of the pipe crossing the Eagle river just below the Gore Creek confluence. I think the top three feet of this gauge is still affixed. The bottom of the gauge washed away during high water a few years ago. There is newer painted gauge on the upstream side of this same location. I don't recall ever seeing 12' on the old stick gauge or on the new painted gauge (I could be wrong, as I have only been running the Eagle since 1994), because there is no 12' mark on the old gauge (it only goes to 9'). The gauge is hard to read at flows above 6', due to the fluctuating cushion of water formed on the upstream side of the pylon. I usually take the average between the max and low level visible. The gauge should have been put on the downstream end of the pylon in the relatively calm water of the eddy. Anyway, most local Eagle River paddlers reference this when asking "What's the Eagle running?". I have been trying to correlate the flows in Avon with the Dowd Chute visual gauge. I think that 2700 cfs = about 6', 1250 cfs = about 3'...yesterday at 3000 cfs, the gauge was between 6.5' and 7'. I need to keep better records. I would consider below 3' to be low, 3' - 5.5' medium, 5.5' to 8' high, above 8' is very high.
Tim Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote