Old 12-31-2005   #1
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
flooding in CA

has aonye been looking at how much water is moving downstream in CA? i dont know how accurate all the gauges are and everything, but theres a lot of water coming down. i think the eel on one gauge is at like 308,000, and the NF American guage says 45000. i cant help but hope this storm hits us as hard

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005   #2
in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974
and how 'bout the Eel river, peaked at over 300,000 cfs!

The Smith River is running 74,000 cfs and rising at a rate of over 10,000cfs/hr
The Klamath river is running over 155,000 cfs and rising
The Trinity River at Hoopa is running 45,000 cfs- can you imagine Burnt Ranch?!!
Most dams in NorCal are releasing at new high rates.
The storm in progress has a second storm winding up behind it, all saturated land masses are sliding, there is a rain at 6,000 feet.
Caution: shifting weather patterns may cause slope instability, regional flooding and overall f**king chaos!
Most every drainage north of SF has seen inundation and greater than bankfull discharge in the past four days. Its going down!

kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #3
Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1992
Town of Klamath flooded big yesterday, 10' above flood stage, guage upstream peaked at above 500,000cfs!

Links and more:

FYI, Cool Cali vids:
shaunotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #4
Raft Guide

I can't imagine you would be so excited after your house was filled with stinking, contaminated water, or if it was buried by a mudslide and you had to spend a week sleeping in the highschool gym-- and that's just the beginning.

What if it didn't happen to you, but your next door neighbor, or someone across town? Would it be worth seeing the totally bitchin' flow?

What if it happened in California? Or Louisiana? Or West Virginia? Or Sri Lanka?

Give me a break
rubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #5
pnw, Washington
Well I think that Yeti made the logical conclusion that if it hits us it will be in the form of snow in the mountains which should be fairly harmless and in return will cause good runoff in the spring. By the storm moving out and hitting us it would in turn help California. I have seen the Klamath at 12000 cfs and it would be rather amazing to see it at 155k. By saying that it means in no way that I wish anyone or anything harm. I think Yeti was just making an observation, to assume otherwise seems hasty.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #6
pnw, Washington
This made me curious about the cal-salmon so I went to the otter bar site and it said that it maxed out at 60k a couple of days ago. This would be an incredibly high flow for that river. I am no expert about that river but I have seen it at 3k and cant image it at 60k.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #7
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
oh, rubberducky, now you gone up and done it....gone and gave me a case of the me all veclempt...

Confucius say: He who does not build on flood plain will not be flooded.

YOU give ME a break.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #8
rubberducky, you should get that nasty knee jerk reaction checked out. I hope we get hammered by the same system here in Co, we could always use more snow
Delbert Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #9
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i dont recall saying anywhere that i liked the fact that people were getting washed out and shit. that is extremely terrible and yeah, i feel really bad for those people.

you mean to tell me that because these people have been hit so hard, that not even out of curiosity will you imagine the flows? i dont know about you, but 45,000 cfs in a stretch that normally has a max suggested flow of 2800 cfs sounds like something i would want to see. not run, but at least see.

someone hit it on the dot, if this storm hits us, it will most likely be in the form of snow that collects for skiing (a plus) and then later for runoff (another plus), and thats what i meant with my post.

sorry to get anyone worked up.
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #10
If you're trying to be PC, Rubberducky, you should consider that admonishing a boater on a whitewater website for being excited about flooding is about as un-PC as it gets. You are hereby ordered to smoke a joint and relax.

deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote