Old 02-15-2008   #1
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: when
Floating the Green

Greetings ...
I have a trip planned for floating the Green, through Canyonlands. We will be putting in at Mineral Bottom and finish up at Spanish Bottom / and the Colorado confluence using a pair of 12 foot Jackson Daytrippers (Thanks Craw). We will be camping out for 4 nights...can anyone recommend a map of the river and canyons that would show hikes, petroglyphs, pictographs, camping get the idea. We hope to paddle a few hours a day and then do some exploring through the canyons.
Any info and or advice would be great.

Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #2
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
Canyonlands Trip

Get the Belknap guide - It has locations of some ruins. Who are you doing the jet boat with? I recomend Tex's highly. I know that if you go with them they will sit you down with a river guide and show you the best places to camp and where petroglyphs are. When are you going if the water is low you have a lot more options as to where to camp. The sand bars are great because they have less bugs.

Here is my summary:

RM 52 Mineral Bottom - If you hike up the road from the put it 1/4 mile there is a grainery on the right. Its hard to find if you don't know where to look. Its built into the base of a giant boulder a little ways up the slope.

RM 41 Cabin and Ruin both on the Belknap guide. Stay left of the island as you go through the bend if you want to see the cabin. The view from the point where the ruin is amazing! You can only get up from the western part of the point.

RM 33.5 Little riffle

RM 31.5 Anderson Bottom. Great camp on the right going into the bend. There is a small spring at the base of the wall (look for 3 cottonwoods). There are also ruins and petrolgyphs on the right in the tightest part of the bend. ..and a small slot in the abandoned meander - there is a low 5th class move to get all the way up. If you have not so climby people in the group a short 10' rope might help.

RM 29 Ruins on the left that you can't miss

RM 28 Pictograph on the right. This hike is pretty trashy. There are a LOT less tammies on the downstream part of the bend. I have been told there is an old row boat there too but have never found it.

RM 26 I call it murshroon canyon. Had lunch here on one trip when a t-storm came in and 2 dozen pour-overs turned into waterfalls - very cool. There is a ruin way up on the downstream part of the canyon mouth.

RM 24-20 Turkshead - this is the coolest part of the trip. If you want to lay over consider doing in here. The best camp is at about RM 27 on the right. Its a series of ledges and sands part. There are tons of petroglyphs and ruins at about RM 28-27.5 on the right. At RM 24 there is large boulder a ways up from the river that is covered with petroplyphs. I have always hiked there from camp (it would be hard to pull out right there). If ledges camp is full there is a not as nice camp at the mouth of Deadhorse canyon. There are very few camps from here to Slot canyon at RM 5 if you go at high water (plenty of sand bars at low water).

RM 9.75 Ruin at the mouth of Jasper

RM 4.5 Shot canyon. You can hike up into the maze from here but I have never had the time to do it. Someone told me there are petrogplyhs a little ways up Shot but I have never looked for them.

The current picks up after the confluence. Throw your lifejacket on and watch out for cataract! Kelsey has couple books that cover this area and explains where most things are.

Its a great flat water trip!

desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #3
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
If Dave Frank can't help you personally, I bet he at least knows of 5 or 10 others who know this stretch real well. Although I haven't be in there myself, I think you want out very shortly after the confluence. Catract supposedly has some beefy rapids and those Day Trippers are not going to take anything above class II very well.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sorry Tim, never done that stretch either, though i'm sure I will before too long.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote