Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-14-2010   #31
Summit County, Colorado
Just curious about the rock that people are saying looks to have moved. My husband and I did this on 5/16/10, before the huge runoff, at approx. 750cfs + or -. The rock that becomes the pourover/hole at higher water was totally exposed and looked to be in the same spot it's always been. Nothing looked out of the ordinary and we've run this stretch at least 100 times over the years. Then I went back and did it a couple of weeks later right at 3000cfs. The rock was a pourover at that flow, but again, didn't look like it had moved and the rapid looked as it always has. Any chance you're talking about the rock in the little rapid above Yarmony? At higher flows there is a hole to miss on river-right in this 'starter' rapid and I'm wondering if that might be the rock that people are saying has shifted?

As someone who has been the passenger for hundreds of Yarmony runs, and then as someone who just rowed it for the first time a few weeks ago at 3000cfs, this rapid is easy as long as you are familiar with it at high and low flows, and know to stay left the entire way, then work center at the bottom to avoid the wall on the left. I've never felt that there was a comfortable line on the right, rock exposed or not exposed, but that's my opinion. I had a blast rowing it my first time at 3000cfs! Great little wave train to ride out once you get past the rock/pourover/hole.

summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #32
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
summitraftgirl -
I'm not sure how much the rock has moved THIS year. I was sure when I came through after the big flows last year that it had moved downstream quite a bit. Then to see it at 6 last weekend further convinced me it was deeper into the rapid. That's just my opinion.

openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #33
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Originally Posted by bejonesxyz View Post
just saw video of flip, my buddy and waterproof camera just showed that we weren't right enough. dammit
Hey when you can will you post the video. I would like to see Yarmony at this level. This highest I've seen it is 4600, went right over the top of it, the rock was barely submerged, tacoed the raft and threw me to the floor and my buddy out the back of my 15 footer loaded with 7 people. The raft surfed the hole for a few good seconds.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote