Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-13-2010   #21
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I went through Yarmony yesterday Sat, Jun 12) in a raft with a group of my students. At this level that is a VERY scary hole. The big rock that always marked the entrance to the rapid appears to have shifted downstream last year during high water, and at over 5k now, it is at least 20' wide. The tongue on the left side isn't as easy to get into as it used to be. We pulled out in the scout eddy above it on the left and took a long time looking at it (can you say dry mouth?).

When we got back in,l we hugged the left side and kept a ferry going until passing the hole and no problem. Some rafts we saw go through it were waiting pretty long to ferry left and there were a few close calls as they caught the edge of the hole but all went through.

Be very careful.

openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #22
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
cheap oar tethers

Go to Ace hardware and buy some 3" metal loops tie a rope to the loops and then tie the other end to the frame. I flipped in westy last month and they worked great. I used a cheaper grade rope so if they do get snagged the rope will break before bending your or oars causing any other problems. Oh yeah I once herd someone say if yourun whitewater and are a whitewater boater than you are always between swims and flips. I like this saying because if your not swimming or flipping than your missing all the fun!

Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #23
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Oar Leash

For about three dollars you can just buy some webbing. It is stonger than that stupid clip system and it looks quite fashionable.
Shotgun Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #24
Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
I have had a few creature flips with those NRS style straps(metal loop, mini buckle) with no issues, though I could easily see it failing, esp with sun degradation. I was on the MF when Barry Dingle lost his oars and since then have just used 1" straps, seems much less likely to fail. I just used the loop that came with the NRS's for the oar. Just don't make it too tight.

During a flip on the MF I was getting scrapped down a shallow area that snapped my kayak paddle in half (which should not have been strapped to the outside anyway) but the oar on the bottom and NRS clip did not fail. I am still a cam strap man from here out anyway.
yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #25
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I bought a pair of those oar leashes from DRE, and soon after realized that those plastic fastek clips were junk. I simply removed the clip from the webbing and now use one of those small carabiners from old water bottles to secure the oar. I haven't had a problem with that in three years.
" The Dude abides....."
palidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #26
castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Bejonesexy I will say that the right line is a lot of fun and very easy if you are in the right place to run right. But like you found out if you don't hit the line right on you will get eatin. But I never run the left line the right is much better if you hit it right. Sorry to hear about your gear hope you do find them soon
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #27
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Must be really high water when Yarmony is being spoken of with such awe
samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #28
Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I just want to say thanks to all the people out there who wrote positive feedback to this thread. And thanks for all the oar tether tips. I'll get back out with a little more knowledge and experience which always good.
bejonesxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #29
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I just got back from a second day of running students through Yarmony (Sun). Level was even higher than Sat. We had a blast, but again took a conservative back ferry near the left shore until evedn with the hole. This time it was easier, as the rocks on that side were really buried with the rain from last night.

I looked over the right sneak, and dograft is correct that the right side will work, and appears fun, but at least I would need to really be set up way in advance. Powerful laterals really want to work you right down the middle. Yarmony has a nice downstream "v", but it leads directly into the maw, and I can't imagine anyone in a raft getting through in one piece.

It will be interesting to see that big center rock later in the summer when it makes an appearance above water. It really seems to have shifted.

So glad you're OK, bejon.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #30
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
This is a good thread on oar tethers. I lost half of one of the NRS sets (fell off the frame during a shuttle LOL), so I need a new one. Used a cam strap in the interim, but like the idea of webbing.

And there are actually THREE kinds of guides from what I heard - those that have flipped, those that will flip, and those that will flip AGAIN... LOL

Good lessons learned for all, even those with a three year old. Whether it's a three year old, a 5 year old or an 8 year old. They too fall into the three categories. I don't care how easy the river is, it's not necessarilly in your control. Anything can happen at any time. My kids both swam last year on Ruby Horsethief by flipping an IK. It happened because we (mostly I) weren't paying enough attention to the "easy" river. It was agreat learning experience for all, especially them. They now know what it's like to swim unexpectedly. I know to not take even the easiest rivers for granted and to be more alert at all times.

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote