Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-12-2010   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by vacca2256 View Post
I'm sorry to hear you flipped your raft. I'll be doing that stretch in two weeks in a canoe. Did you go on the left or right at yarmony? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Not to sound like a Nelly, but heed the previous post. Yarmony is far from difficult, but did eat a drift boat last year. Even at lower flows a canoe could get swamped.

angrylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #12
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I didn't even know you could go right. I always thought the line was left, and at high flows FAR left...

But it can happen to anyone. I dump trucked everyone on Big Drop in Brown's yesterday. Ran it twice two weeks ago without incident, but this week, everyone swam...

Just goes to show you that you are only in so much control and anything can happen...

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #13
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I've used cam straps for over 10 years now, I double up the loop strap on the oar and attach the cam buckle to the frame. Works great, though I haven't flipped since '98 on a highwater Westy trip. Much stronger than the plastic buckle oars tethers, and cheaper--just change them out every few years.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #14
Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Yah left does sound like the better choice now, I just thought and have heard the line is narrow and pushes you into the wall on the left. if you miss the hole on the right just ride out the wave train. I guess you learn something every day. I usually run the Upper C at lower levels, so there you have have it. Knowledge is valuable.
bejonesxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #15
3, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Huh......I run that section every weekend and I guess I didn't know there was a line to the right. After Canon Door rock (river right) most people I know, myself included start moving to river left, then pass the big hole and rock and start moving river right to avoid river left wall and the rock located river left as you exit the rapid.
NOTE: If you take this line its very safe....in fact, my 3 year old has run it with me the last 3 weekends in our raft.
Good luck,
Scottsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #16
Blue River, Colorado
Hey scottsfire thanks for the tip, but if you are trying to make me feel stupid, think again.
Just because you can do it with your 3 year old either makes you awesome or even more stupid than me. I hope you never have an accident with your kid on the boat, just something to think about. Eventually it can happen to anyone!
I dont even bring my dog when the water levels are high.
Old 06-12-2010   #17
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Lol well you did kinda ask for it...flipping in Yarmony after all The obvious line is to the left and its like a mile wide. Maybe you should try just using rope for oar tethers, it works waaayy better and its cheaper. I don't think Sf is making fun of you...just pointing out the obvious, that the line is easy and of minimal consequence Hope you drank a beer for your flip!
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #18
Blue River, Colorado
I'm not looking for negative input here. Sorry if I have offended anyone. I was just putting it out there that bad things can happen. Like I said earlier I usually run this area at lower flows. Mistakes happen. And have heard plenty of stories since this happened that plenty of more boaters out there have had the same problems in the same area. I'm not the best rafter out there. I did ask advice before I went out, and unfortunately I am learning by mistakes.
Old 06-12-2010   #19
HSS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Left is the obvious run, which is why so many people flip in the lower shelf at high water. 7,8, and 9000 cfs... the run is right.
rafterswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #20
vail, Colorado
Glad to hear everyone is okay. That swim is gnarly at this level. Pay no attention to the haters. Remember there are only two types of guides, those that have and those that will. Hopefully you have taken stock, and can make the adjustments nessesary to be sure it doesnt happen again. Try calling the River Center about those oars. They have their ear to the ground on that section.

foulhooked1 is offline   Reply With Quote