Old 03-05-2008   #11
Intervals are a great way to build both endurance and strength regardless of what activity you are doing. Think more along the lines of sprints when doing the intervals, and you could certainly alternate sets of forward and backwards to work the different muscle groups.

After giving yourself a few minutes of easy paddling to warm up, go hard in short bursts followed by an equal amount of easy paddling. For example, paddle as fast as you can for 20 seconds, paddle easy for 20-30 seconds, paddle fast for 20 seconds, easy for 20-30 seconds. As you build up, extend the time for each interval as well as your overall time spent on interval training. Once you start to really feel the burn and finish out your intervals, knock out 5-10 rolls each side just to test yourself under fatigue.

You could do a "long" slow paddle as your cool down. The warm-up and cool down would be a great time to focus on your technique rather than pushing that issue during the intervals.

TimmyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Use flatwater to work on your balance in the boat - try to paddle forward while holding your boat on edge for 30 seconds or a minute. Not only is it a good work out, but it is really good for your form and posture. It's also a good time to work on simple forward paddle technique. Rotate your torso instead of using your arms to paddle. It's amazing how much it helps once you get on moving water.

jsyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #13
My Daily Routine

100 easy Forward- focus on Technique - Reach, insert, twist, recover
50 moderate - focus just on core
alternate 20 hard as I can and maintain some semblance of form 10 moderate. 5 - 10 sets increasing the hard.

100 moderate backstrokes focus on looking at blade each time.

Variation after 100 easy strokes
5 - 10 forward throw end land on retentive stroke to keep motion going in same direction and then 5 - 10 back strokes Throw stern end land on retentive stroke repeat keep moving in the same line of travel. You can even throw flat water split and keep the motion going with a good retentive stroke.

2 - 5 power circle paddle on inside in each direction of varying sizes

Sweeps forward and back leading with head.
5- 10 Flat, 5 - 10 inside lean, 5 - 10 outside lean

Variation -
Bow and stern pivot 5 - 10 of each

S-turn 5 - 10 in each direction
Paddle forward initiate a turn with a forward sweep Bow Draw to the inside, turn it into a sweep, paddle forward. focus on gliding.

Variation - same thing but with only one blade

45 minutes late go back to your car cause you are to tired to paddle anymore.

In reality - put on paddle to the hole and hope I don't rip my arms out. though at the beginning of the year I am a little better.
friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #14
Broomfield, Colorado Paddling Since: 1996
Flatwater Gates Workout

Just below the 20th Street bridge across from the skate park, you will find 300 meters of gates in moderate moving water to hardly current at all.

This is a great place to work stroke technique and combos to help your skills once the water starts flowing.

We are down there religiously everyday from 4-7 each night and encourage anyone to join in our sessions.

We have beginner kids to advanced adults that join in our sessions.

Walk-ins are not charged and we will provide some tips and pointers to you and your friends.

This is not just for slalom boaters, but provides an obstacle course for you to test your river skills. We also have slalom boats available with advance notice for those really wanting to test their skills. Womens skills nights also available.

All levels can be accommodated.

Contact us if you have any questions.

Chris with the FRPA Slalom Club

FRPA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #15

One thing I have been doing lately is upstream attainment, or simply paddling the wrong way up river. It definitely maximizes your workout time. I've been paddling a long section of class II on the local river and using a remix 69 for speed. It really helps to train you to use efficient strokes, set ferry angles and pick a line from eddy to eddy upstream. Its amazing some of the stuff you can move upriver through, although I have to admit that I have found myself portaging a few class II gravel bars (the wrong way, no less) that I tried to rat claw up with no avail. Anyway. use a fast boat, its better than a lake.

P.S. Make sure you do a fair amount of back paddling. We tend to neglect the muscles you use in this, but they are the same muscles you need for play boating. Good luck

shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote