Old 04-17-2011   #11
vernal, Utah
Paddling Since: 1986
Great stretch of river and is my favorite. The Bureau of Reclamation is telling us that there will be 3,000 cfs released until after the peak of the Yampa and then they will do a "large" release and the rumor we've heard is up to 9,000 cfs. One obstacle will be the Taylor Flat bridge, just below Jarvie ranch. It is a low concrete bridge that crosses the river but if the water is 5000+ you can't go under it, you have to portage around. We ran it at 6,000 one year and the water was only about a half of a foot below the bridge so we portaged. As far as Red Creek goes, it's easy in higher water because there is a rock garden on river left at the bottom of the rapid. So in low water (800-1000 cfs) you run left side of the rapid and then have to pull quickly to the right to avoid the shallow water on the left. You won't have any problems with Red Creek in June. Call us if we can help you with the shuttle.
Melanie - River Runners' Transport, Vernal. (1-800-930-723

melmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by festivus View Post
There are two camps with nice outhouses on B; all others have blinds.

River is class 2plus read and run except red creek; which has some moves. Red creek has a easy sneak route on the left if there is enough water; which there should be in June. The run against the right wall can get prickly at the end; and it would be a real pain in the ass to wrap on the rock in the middle of the current. There is a pillow, so the risk is not huge in an inflatable. At really high flows, an impressive pourover occurs on the right; but the left is still easy.
Which 2 camps have outhouses? Good to know for future reference, although it looks like a groover is needed either way. Section B looks like a great place to camp, fish, and just hang out for a weekend.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #13
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks for the update Melanie. Do you guys do a dam to Brown's park shuttle (sections A & B)? How much?
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #14
C. Springs, Colorado
There is a big camp on the right just below Red Canyon rapid that has an outhouse. The other one is up by Little Hole, like the first camp you come to if I remember right.

Cicida (sp?) and Pugmire pocket are two of my favorites. Lone Pine sucks.

We usually try to do three days up there and do laps. We drive down to Little Hole when we first get there and sign up for a camp. Were going to try the on line method next time, but will still drive down first thing to make sure we made the list. It's only like 7 miles to Little Hole from the dam. We leave camp set up and float out and have them reset our shuttle. Laps are the way to go. Hope this helps.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #15
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
First of all, I wanted to thank everyone for some great info and opinions. We've decided to go and I had a couple other questions. I've heard that the boat launch at the dam only allows you to stay there for 15 minutes. I was planning on rigging boats there or at least close by while part of the group ran our shuttle. Is this completely unheard of? Surely we're not the first to run our own shuttle to save $$. Has anyone else run into this problem?
Also, caverdan, you said Lone Pine sucks-- is that the same as Big Pine, and if so, why? We were looking at these for reserved campsites.
Again, thanks for the help.
dgogirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #16
summit, Colorado
You can't really rig your boat at the launch - it's just too busy, and really small - you have to rig it completely up in the parking lot (a few hundred yards up the hill), and then just drop the boat in the water when you get down to the launch. You can push it downstream a little bit to be out of the way of other launches while you run your shuttle, though - that's not a problem. Also, we camped at Big Pine 1 last year (not sure if this is the same as Lone Pine or not, but we reserved it online), and we really liked it. if somebody else is at Big Pine 2, though, the'll be pretty much right on top of you. Did you notice that the flow has been bumped up to about 9000cfs as of yesterday?
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #17
I have rigged my boats in the upper parking lot, then loaded the boat on a trailer. The man there says you must be ready to launch as soon as you get to the ramp, and I believe it is 10 min. time allowed at the ramp. If the ramp is busy and several folks are waiting the rangers will be all over you to get a move on. Once your boat is in the water and your vehicle is out of the way they ussally back off. I think there are 4 lanes and they get real busy at times. If you are prepared and have your gear in order it will be no problem. When do you plan to launch? There will be between 3,000-8,600cfs being let out of FGD this year, I believe that after the Yampa reaches the peak, thr B O R will crank FGD up to about 8,000 cfs. I would like to get a trip in this spring, before our June 8th Lodore launch, mabey we could help each other with shuttle if you launch on a day that I have off.
Be safe out there,Dennis
dport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #18
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I had heard the rumors of the big release, I wonder if this is it. We are launching early June, and I would like to avoid portage of Taylor Flats bridge because of high water, but if we have to, we have to.
Glad to hear the Big Pine is nice, we have reserved Big Pine 2, as we are a little too large of a group for BP 1.
Good to know about the parking lot. My plan is to rig there as 1/2 the group runs shuttle, bring one truck/trailer back and haul the boats to the water one at a time and get out of the way of the ramp. Hopefully this will work, my brain is already exhausted with shuttle logistics.
Thanks again!
dgogirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #19
C. Springs, Colorado
My memory is a bit foggy.......It's not big pine 1 or 2 as those are nice sites for big groups. More memory's coming......the site that sucked was.......trails end??? sorry for the misinformation. It's the last site you can hike to from Little Hole on river left.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #20
Grand Junction, CO
Are dogs allowed on this section?

"Or just shut up and boat. " ~willpaddle4food
Scary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote