Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-16-2006   #1
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Flaming Gorge Reservoir Pipeline Issue - Kayak Access Issue

Just thought I'd post another article on this issue, keeping it in the spotlight. Last time, I saw a snide and possibly idiotic comment that all water projects are "bad." If that's the case, everyone out of Colorado, right now. No one deserves to live here unless you can suck your water needs out of a cactus - but since that's not reality...I also saw some interesting and productive comments which I'd like to hear more of. My question to boaters are:

Given the inevitable growth on the Front Range, would you support a pipeline that takes water from the upper Colorado basin drainage, via Flamming Gorge pipeline, if counter measures were put into place to re-water the basins traditionally used to supply this Western Slope water, and why?
Article -

TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006   #2
pnw, Washington
Would that mean that we (Colorado) grab the water before California can suck it dry?

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006   #3
In my opinion, yes. One of the big gripes of the supply side proponents is that we need more storage in Colorado to keep our rightful share of upper Colorado drainage water. Once we lose it downstream, then it is gone. I think this is very interesting, having both positive and negative impacts on boating. For example, with a pipeline, what would become of Bailey and Lake Creek runs which are used to move water to the Front Range? I think we need a combination of supply and demand solutions, with an emphasis of demand side controls put in place to control consumption. FOUR BILLION is a lot of money but what would an additional storage facility cost, especially after all the court battles? Very interesting.
Old 10-16-2006   #4
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
In the era of global warming, the Uppe Colorado Basin states are going to have a difficult enough time meeting our compact obligations to the Lower Basin States. There was even talk of shutting off the Roberts Tunnel a couple of years ago since its a junior water right and thus subordinate to the compact. Something the Big Straw's proponents and others seem to be forgetting is that there just isn't that much water to go around in most years.

Million's a dreamer who's teamed up with some desperate folks that are hoping his scheme just might fly. I don't think its going to happen.

Just my 2 cents...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006   #5
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I will enjoy the water wherever they send it. But I believe that we should try and keep water in its own basin, after all, that's what's natural. I think we should try and avoid artificially moving water as much as possible (and yes, I realize that this would really hurt boating on some rivers) but I also realize that some water management is a necessity in today's society. When having to pick the lesser of two evils, I will always go with minimal artificial movement. .02.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006   #6
pnw, Washington
I want to move all the water through fountain creek so that we can have a decent play feature here in the springs.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #7

The last thing the Green River needs is a pipeline steeling it's water!. If you have ever paddled the Green River through Utah you will know that it's not worth damaging for any population.

There are several underground aquifers in Colorado, they can be used for water storage.

So go have twenty or thirty kids!
Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #8
I heard on the radio this morning that Colorado is one of the fastest growing states (I think they said in top 5) as far as relocation. So, either our society needs to figure out a way to deal with the growth or Colorado has to adopt some poison pill legislation to prevent growth. You can't just stick your head in the sand and pretend it is not happening. Personally, I'd like to see incentives to xeriscaping, tiered water pricing in the summer months that will further influence xeriscaping and conservation of water, smart development/redevelopment, less urban sprawl and just better demand side management in the near future. As for long term planning, I think this pipeline is viable, so we better stay informed on it and even get AWA involved to make sure there is a balanced representation. We are a part of our ecosystem so we better start to find the best ways to coexist with nature. As for the Green River, I've paddled the Gates of Lodore section and by no means would I want to see this section be de-watered. Nor do I want to see continuing pressure on the current mountain basins. Where's the balance?
Old 10-17-2006   #9
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Does anyone out there do water law? Is it possible to file an in-stream recreation right to some minimum flow, say 800 cfs, through Lodore to support the recreation economy? As long as that pre-dates the pipe, that would take priority, right?

asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote

access, kayaking