Old 06-29-2004   #1
Fix my Creek Boat!!

Broken creek boats suck, and unfortunately I have one. I broke it a while ago - petoned the front end in and cracked the bow a little. I fixed it once by melting some of the boats plastic into the cracks and smoothing it out and then put a big ass nose cone over it and gluing the crap out of it.
This made my boat really attractive and worked for a season and a half, but I have been using it quite a bit more this season and it has cracked in the same places again.

Unfortunatley I am a dirtbag kayaker and a student - doubley poor - and I can't afford a new boat. I need to fix this one again and hopefully fix it right. What is the best way to do this, should I just melt the plastic again or is there something else. I don't have a plastic welder but do have a heat gun which is what I used the first time. One guy I paddled with said he used milk jugs to melt to his boat to seal the cracks. Not sure if this would work or what to do, any help would be rad. Thanks

Whiskey's for drinkin' and waters for fightin'
- Mark Twain
wycoloboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #2
Field Foreman
Sorry about your boat. I know some companies sell plastic strips that look like solder that you can melt with your heat gun. You can probably do a search on line to find some. You didn't mention what brand of boat you had, but you may be able to contact the manufacturer to see if the would give you some shavings from new boats fresh off the mold. You might try checking with your local shop to see if they would keep the shavings from installs and custom work for you.

nmyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #3
Hog Island Boat Works

I saw an ad by Hog Island boat works a couple of months ago saying that they can fix kayaks. They make rotomolded fishing boats right here in Steamboat. They might have the best solution. I think they are located near BMC west.

Good Luck

pburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I use a thick vinyl tape to patch my boats. Drill a small hole at each end of the crack to keep it from growing and just tape over it from the inside.

3M sells it as "Vinyl mastic" it is used for wrapping wires on RVs. I also have some stuff that is for flashing roofs, called Grace ice and water shield or bitchethane. I have a bunck of it left over if you are near Boulder I will give some away. It has kept my old inazone floating since 2002. I also have a cracked micro patched with it that I keep for running the really bony stuff. It is a pretty bomber fix and really fast and easy.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004   #5
I'm with Dave.

The best repairs I've seen are done by sealing the crack from the inside. Try gluing some minicell to the inside of the boat over the crack (first drill holes as said).

Good luck.
mike a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004   #6
my college's kayak club used to melt traffic cones to the inside to seal off cracks. Seemed to work pretty effectivly. I don't have any more details on how they did it, but I would assume cut a piece of traffic cone and melt it on with a heat gun...

kayakingkate is offline   Reply With Quote