Old 02-07-2006   #51
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
What level do bridge strainers form on the Eagle? I am thinking 4000-5000 would probably be pretty close at Trestle.
Dempsey - that Trestle bridge is pretty high. I think we would be at emergency flooding stage for that bridge to create a strainer. However, a good argument could come from guessing how much water it would take to back up behind the railroad bridge on Gore Creek right before the confluence. Can you imagine???

Cayo - any Class III creeks you can think of that might run this year?

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #52
Front Range class 3 that rarely run,off the top of my head;Lair of the Bear,the folks at Alpenglow told me long time ago is good III-IV when its crankin lots ...wood,Lwr. N FK CLP according to CRC,Clear Creek thru Idaho Spgs. used to be standard on the Front Range rookie circuit II-III better when its raging,most of 11 mile canyon,really high water on the town run of the So.Platte can be fun.
I was thinking more of obscure stuff like Llittle Thompson,lower lefthand,W,FK.Clear crk,N.FK.Clear Crk,SO.FK.CLP,UPR. Williams fk.'James CRK.,someone mentined Buckhorn once,Middle fk.St.Vrain,etc.
Fall river near Estes.

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #53
Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
i think it was 3 years ago when the eagle was at 11 feet. hobie, struth, dan mitchell, and i got on it... 3 creekboats and 1 kingpin - awesome! before that, in 97 it think, it got up to about 13 feet. my guess for this year... 14 feet. bitchin! can´t wait. big waves, the chute itself is over in about 20 secs, then a gem of a playwave comes in...mmmm

see ya´ll when i get back next week!

Alpine Arms
Team Dagger
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #54
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Paddlebizz- the Gore Creek Trestle (at eagle confluence) i believe backs up around 8-9ft. Still alot of wood stuck in that bridge from a few years ago (years solomon listed above). Lots of other strainers along gore creek also (betty ford bridge, bunch of cascade bridges and the sewer pipes thru intermountain). gonna be fun!!
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #55
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The Gore Creek trestle will definately be a bridge strainer!

Does it really get that high at Betty's? Teva Mountain Games races will be bitchin', but the Vail play hole might wash out unless it stays really cool.

Jeff, I think last year one night in the raft I was able to touch the bottom of the Trestle bridge one day around memorial day.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #56
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
I think the pipes in West Vail will definitely be COVERED, let alone be strainers. The railroad bridge at the confluence will definitely be a hazard.

As for other bridges on Gore Creek (golf course, Betty Ford, etc), I think we're getting ahead of ourselves.

The creek would have to be at a critical flood stage (think - flooding Covered Bridge Coffee, Vail T-Shirt, Pepi's, etc. That would have to be an awful lot of water to create this scenario - like over 2000 cfs. Unless anyone has extra info, I don't remember Gore Creek ever getting above 1500 through Vail Village.

Am I far off? I just think it's a little unrealistic to expect that kind of volume.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #57
Moab, Utah
Trestle Rapid Bridge on Eagle River

The Eagle County floodplain mapping study is public record, and is the basis for floodplain mapping along the Eagle River from Dotsero to approximately the FR station at the Dowd exit. From this report, the following flows are predicted at Wolcott:
50 year event: 5,700 cfs
100 year event: 6,170 cfs
500 year event: 7,060 cfs

These flows have a 2%, 1%, and 0.2% chance of occurring in any given year. Based on the floodplain model (which includes significant field survey detail around all bridges), the Trestle Bridge is predicted to be touched by the water surface at all three events noted above. I believe the survey around the Trestle Bridge was done before the rockslide in that area, so in fact the channel conveyance capacity has been decreased by the new rock(s) in the channel directly below the bridge. Therefore, it is a reasonable assumption that the water will rise to the bridge with even less flow than noted above.

Based on my experience last year with the rockslide in place, I ran Trestle at the near peak of the Eagle with a flow of 3,800 by my estimate (upstream gage at Avon does not account for added flow from Lake Creek). On that day, there was adequate room to get a kayak under the bridge and around the rock safely, but I think the rafts were starting to have trouble. I believe that the bridge will become impassable (less than 2' clearance between water and bridge) around 4,500 this year, and that water will be hitting the bridge at less than 5,500. These are my personal estimates, use with a grain of salt - luckily there is a good pool on river right immediately upstream of the bridge, so be ready to pull out there.

The relatively tame Eagle picked up steam last year below Wolcott, so this year should be a hoot. later all.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #58
Tim Kennedy
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Let's see how the spring snow and melt goes.

Let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

At this point, we can at least breathe easy that we won't have another 2002.

As for how high you guys are claiming to have run Dowd Chute:

Matt, I think I gotta call you out this one. The top of the gauge at Dowd Chute is 9 feet. Once it gets around 7 or 7.5 feet, readings are inaccurate. The stick is located on upstream end of the piling. At high water levels, a pillow forms on the front of the piling and and the gauge sits in the cavity behind the pillow at the top of the eddy. Three years ago, the top of the gauge was still visible in the cavity. Taking the average between the top of the pillow and reading on the stick, the river was maybe 9.5 to 10 feet or so. I get a chuckle out of hearing that "so and so ran it at 14 feet" or "we ran it on a raft trip with Darrell in '95 at 12 feet". I think I was on it around peak a couple years ago and it was huge and fun. I dump-trucked at the bottom of Rodeo/Cliffside/River Run rapid on a trip (I had a writer in my boat from US News and Weekly Report. What a great day to have swimmers Mongo's never let me forget about that one.) But once we got to the Edward's mile, the river was almost kinda washed out. Even though the gauge didn't seem any higher than in '95 or '96, there was alot of water coming in through the tributaries below the Chute. I also did some peak flow runs in '95 and '96, great big water fun. We ran quite a few "Upper Eagle" trips that season. But I have to say I have never run it over 10 feet. I don't think it has ever gotten over "10 feet" in the last 15 years. If you get a chance, check out the photos at Billy's house of him and Darrell in the Chute in the summer of '84 or '85. That was definitely a high level. "14, 15, 16 feet" who knows? The friggin gauge is under water. The water is almost 3 feet from the railroad grade at the top of the Chute. There's a massive log in the river twenty yards ahead of Billy.

In '95 and '96 we had to stop running commercial trips for a few days on the Lower Eagle. We stopped putting in above Trestle at around 6 or 7 feet due to the low bridge and big holes at bottom of the rapid. We could put in at the BLM site below Trestle for a while. But the river got too high to get under the old double arch bridge below Interstate rapid.

The trestle at the Gore Creek and Eagle confluence does become too low to float under in most years. The passage around the right side of it got clogged a couple of springs ago by the big log that took out the game fence. It could be interesting if the log jam creates somewhat of a dam there. There is a gap at the upstream end of that trestle, but more water flows into the downstream end where the log jam is. On an evening run through the Golf Course section of Gore Creek in '95 or '96, some guys did have to jump out of the raft to get under one or two of the golf cart bridges. Low duck in a kayak. We took out at Steven's Park in Intermountain. A few folks from Mongo's raft swam a hundred yards or so further downstream after he flipped in Black Bear Rapid above the takeout.

Pine Creek over 5' on the old Scott's Bridge gauge is a blast. The "S-turn hole" is a crashing wave. But the holes at the top of PC and the ledges on the banks in triple drop are big.

Clear Creek above 1000cfs is a great run. Stay out of the ledge hole in "Narrows" rapid.

Shoshone and Barrel Springs are a great big water run above 10,000cfs. Barrel Springs optional

Solomon, sorry to call you out on the Buzz. I guess I got one coming from you (I hope it's not that Gore video). I haven't seen you in a while. Thanks for the DVD's. How was Ecuador?

Tim Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote