Old 02-06-2006   #41
Thanks DSP. You are the man(or not. I was gonna do it this evening. sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #42
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
In CRC2/Clear Creek/Black Rock there is a photo of the narrows at 3 grand... what year was that?

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #43
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
In 1929, the flow reached nearly 6000 cfs. Could the pic be from a time in the 60's? Otherwise, as pointed out before, the peak values are sometimes averaged over the entire day instead of the exact peak.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #44
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

The Ark is free flowing from the Freemont Pass area, and the surrounding Leadville areas. I believe that these areas are doing very well with snow pack!

As for Lake Creek: They release all natural flows, which means any free flow that comes into Twin Lakes will leave into the Ark. The only thing they don't release is the water they steal from Aspen. I believe this is also true for the Clear Creek Res.

This means that Pine Creek, #'s, Narrows, and the NEW BV playpark will go off. For those who don't know: Pine Creek is actually easier above 3000CFS, and it is sooooooooooo much fun!!! Everything is a flush, except for a couple of random ledgy-holes. And, all you need is a playboat; and all you want is a playboat, because the play is incredible #1.5 at 3000CFS is one of the best surf waves in all of CO. I am all fired up, and have no place to boat.

But, let's just hope that CO doesn't have a warm spring and blow this big load prematurely...sorry I had to be the one to say it.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #45
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
What are thoughts on the Eagle? I think last spring it peaked just under 3k (Dowd Chute hit maybe 8 on the gauge?). I won't go near the chute, but the Eagle below it was awesome.

Any chance the Eagle could top 4,000 or the Chute top 10 feet?

A few years back I watched Ludden and Hobie in the Chute at 10 feet and it was surreal.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #46
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

The Eagle will definitely get to 10' this year (one mans opnion). Amazing how fast people travel in there at 10 feet and no boat. Watched 2 consecutive rafts flip around Tysons...major mayhem. The hardest part will be the big lateral (newly formed 3 years ago) just before Tysons.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #47
DSP -- The Colorado Basin River Forecast Center starts issuing peak flow forecast for the basin beginning in March. We use two tools -- one uses regressed equations against snow pack values, temperature departures etc. These generally have 30 years of corralative data. Our other option is to use one of the tools within NWSRFS that essentially applies 30 years of potential weather to determine peak flow exceedence probabilities. These are published at

Someone else mentioned the difference between mean-daily flow and instantaneoud peak. It can varies much more when rain induced peaks are in th picture (desert rivers). The nautre of the melt tends to dampen thigns a bit more.

Finally, whoever started this thread -- I hope you don;t jinx us all. I am going to go sacrifice some adult beverages for the cause.
merry prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #48
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
What level do bridge strainers form on the Eagle? I am thinking 4000-5000 would probably be pretty close at Trestle.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #49
What about Cheesman Canyon? Any educated guesses on whether it will go this year?
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #50
You guys can run your huge stuff,I'll be looking at all the little creeks that always looked promising but never had enough water.Things could get interesting on well known runs as a lot of wood is gonna move around,and there will be some landslides.
I am with Paddlebizzle one run I love high is the Eagle below Dowds,the more the merrier!
What's the overall prognosis for the Front Range,as good as Clear Creek?Talk all the smack you want ,there's a ton of good IV /V boating between the CLP and the NFSP.
Out of curiosity what is the highest anyones seen Waterton or Foxton,seems like they used to run better in the late 90's?

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote