Old 12-31-2007   #1
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
First Utah River Trip

My hubby and I want to do a river trip in Utah this year but don't know where to start. I've heard lots of good things about Lodore, and we've spent a fair amount of time down by the San Juan, but both of those are permit nightmares. Westwater sounds interesting, both for the easier permit and also we could take our dogs with us. But we don't know a lot about these rivers to decide which ones to put in for. Our favorite it Class III with the dogs, and will go up to IV for rivers where we can't take the pups. We much prefer "wilderness" floats that don't have a lot of time by roads. Doesn't westwater have some road time if you go all the way into Moab? We'd prefer trips with the dogs, but aren't completely limited by that.

Someone last summer posted about a great trip through Lodore, got around the permit problem by going "partially" guided. Took their own boat and gear and then the guide just did the food. That seems cool as we have no interest in being passengers and prefer our own rig.

lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #2
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Deso/Gray is a nice multi day trip.

Desolation Canyon River Information

rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #3
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990

If you're up for a slightly longer drive, you might want to check out rivers in Idaho. Permits for the Snake through Hells Canyon aren't too hard to get, and cancellation permits for the Main Salmon aren't too hard to get either, assuming you don't draw and are flexible with dates.
Not only that, there are a lot of sections of the Salmon that can be combined and run like a multi-day trip, no permit, no fees required. The North Fork to Middle Fork (confluence) section of the Main Salmon is an great 39 mile run, especially from Pine Creek to Panther Creek (similar to Brown's IMHO, similar to Browns depending on the water level albeit with a road running the length). This stretch is roadside, but you'll see very little traffic actually on the river - other than a few locals, the traffic is all coming off the Middle or putting on the Main, except on a few summer weekend.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
Gates of ladore is an awesome trip. If yiou have a chance hit that... If not there are other options.
The Green river has a couple of Sections worth running. The Stretch from Flaming Gorge to the Gates put in is easily a 3-5 day float. Absolutely Gorgeous and no permit.
As mentioned above, Deso is incredible, but a permit run. Below Deso you can put in and run from the town of Green river to the confluence with the Colorado. This takes you through Canyon lands and labrynth canyon. The downside is there are no rapids, the upside is the sheer beauty is overwhelming. As drawbacks, upcanyon winds are common, and it does take some coordination with an airboat driver to get you out of there(they run you up the colorado).

The only other real multi day in the state is the Yampa and that is more colorado's than Utahs.
If you are looking for more specific information feel free to contact me.
God Bless SKA Brewery-Sturgeon General
C-dub is offline   Reply With Quote