Old 01-04-2013   #31
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Hey Phill, Aren't you Dustin Urbans dad?

If so, hating pros would be a conflict of interest .

No hate intended on this post.
Yeah, but I'm a paddler too so hating on any paddlers is a conflict of interest.

I've known Kirk since he showed up unsponsored! and unknown at the 2001 team trials, made the team, and then stood on the podium (bronze) at the Worlds in Spain. Those Worlds were competitive as hell and his second major comp, team trials was his first. Great guy, great athlete. He's also one of the smoothest, best creekers paddling.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #32
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
Bitching about things on the internet:
That's awesome! Except then the buzz would be awfully boring!

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #33
Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Absolutely Fabulous thread !! Kayakers of all people ( term used loosely ) continue to entertain !! This is pay back for all of the beer and gear I've hauled over the years !! Next time - drop the doobie- grab the rope !!! Solve the problem !! I Luv the Buzz !! Gr8 Link
mrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #34
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
ahey I was a Colorado state sponsered rafter for the latter part of the 2011 summer and shit they even extended it through October but, then I got a job and now i sponser some guys making beer and Jagermister.
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #35
Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
EZ big fella, the yakkers are Rollin in it right now. Next they will start rippin the pro-waterfall crowd !!
mrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #36
The next zone, .
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Wow... way to be a hater. Brian Kirk is one of the most genuine and kind people I've met in the paddle sports industry. When we paddled together back in the day he got way more rides than me too. But instead of hating on him for his insanely talented skills... I learned from him. Now I can get up those insanely challenging eddies too. Just sayin.

Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
I'll second that. If you're going to hate on pros, you're picking a bad one to hate...

BTW, where does hating the best of our extended community fit in the Nealy order of all things paddling?
Marco and Phil hit it on the head - Brian is one of the most genuine people I have ever met in the river industry. Not to mention talented. Also fair to say Brian Kirk is one of the nicest guys on the river. To attack Brian on a internet forum over something that may or may not have happened 8 years ago shows no class at all.........

I wonder why I even log on to the buzz anymore.. I already know enough about coolers, or that a monkey can basically can row a 18' raft down browns or a 13' raft down the grand, and don't have enough hate to randomly attack one of the nicest guys in the kayaking community.

Hate on buzzards seems it what this site has come to...........
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #37
Originally Posted by smauk2 View Post
Did I hear sponsored, get the pitchforks! Let's nitpick the blog's title, because we CAN!

In all seriousness I enjoyed the write up, please keep producing material.
Many thanks, I will continue. Been going since 1998!
unsponsored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #38
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I think this thread is a great microcosm of the rest of the buzz right now: a discussion about some actually interesting content gets instantly derailed into a hate fest against good paddlers, fueled by angry rafters, minor incidents taken out of context, and general lack of connection and knowledge of the rest of the paddling community.

Unsponsored has been a great site for years. I used some of their gopro mount ideas a year or two ago. More people need to know about that site. The name made even more sense when they first started out.

Bryan Kirk is the man. Using both sides of a wave for access is fairly standard, but I wasn't there so who knows if he was over the line (8 years ago one afternoon for a few hours until he left early). Even heroes make mistakes. I have also heard him tell some mildly offensive dirty jokes.
leif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #39
This shit has me crackin' up! People are douches. What’s wrong with calling the river church? Some people go into the wilderness to be closer to God, Buddha, Elmo, or whatever deity they choose to call their maker. I kind of like the thought myself. Instead of having some drone tell me about how to be spiritual, I can just be. I always feel better after being out there. I can't wait to go to church on Tuesday, where instead of paddling on the water I will be shredding it on my skis. AMEN!
Ryanrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #40
4 pages!

Check out the Q&A series @ Unsponsored | Paddling tips, tricks and gear reviews from an Unsponsored point of view

unsponsored is offline   Reply With Quote