Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-06-2007   #11
In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas
Originally Posted by ENDOMADNESS View Post
The ark will be 2200 - 2700 is my guess. Big solid level. Not a crazy snowpack out here this year.
Prob about right.....Although I'm hoping it'll be more like 3k+ but I'm not getting my hopes up. You will def have a good chance of great levels most anywhere you want to paddle III/IV during that time-frame......

kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #12
I should be in that area in late may looking for people to boat with. If you want anyone to paddle with on grade 3/4 and set shuttles with pm me.

mads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007   #13
Charlottesville, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2000
River levels

If the arkansas is at the level that you think it will be (2200-2700), what will be the difficulty of the royal gorge and the numbers section.

Will the Gorge still be III-IV, and will the numbers still be IV?

vayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007   #14
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
if you want to boat the poudre while you're out here, look me up and i'll show you the lines for the 3/4 stuff that you want to run. that should be prime time for the river. late may early june is a great time to be on the poudre.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #15
Trip planning

I just got my copy of CRC II, and I've come up with what I think is a great list of potential III/IV runs for my trip. I'll only have 11 days to paddle so I won't be able to do all of these

Here is my list:

Crystal (Bogan Canyon)
Clear Creek (Dumont, Upper, Lower)
Ark (Pinnacle rock, browns, royal, numbers)
Boulder Creek (Lower Canyon)
South Boulder (alto-alto)
Pouder (Upper and lower rustic, upper mish)

What do you think of this list? Is Bogan Canyon a fun run? Is Pinnacle rock good at higher flows?

Thanks for the help
Old 04-19-2007   #16

You'll have good flow that time of year, even if the snowpack is a little low. I've done most of the runs on your list, drop me a line if you want some specific beta. I'd also recommend the new Colorado guidebook - it's the bomb (but i'm a little biased

Whitewater of the Southern Rockies

Clear Creek will have some good aerobic warm-up / acclimatize runs if it isn't too hight that early in the season. Dumont has an awesome play hole, but I'm not sure if it is at a good flow that early in the season.

Pretty funny to see all these other C-ville boaters on the 'buzz.

Some of us are going to Goshen this Friday if you wanna play.

Have fun,
Gordon Dalton
GDalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #17
Thanks for the info. I'll hit you up with a message if I have any questions about the runs out there.

I'd love to get out on the maury, but I'm nursing a sore wrist so I'll have to pass on it tommarrow. It was worth a sore wrsit as I got a personal first descent on the upper meadow at high water.

Talk to you soon,
Old 04-19-2007   #18
dropzone, Colorado
Your list looks good. I don't know if you are comfortable on runs at the + side of class IV. If so, I would add lower south boulder creek from gross reservoir down to eldorado to the list. It is one of the most scenic canyons in the front range. There will be plenty of people boating it to guide you down at that time of year, myself included, and if you walk the three harder drops, it is mostly continuous III-IV. But it does get into the IV+ range at higher water. Also, Bogan canyon is fun, but the best part of the run is the scenery in the crystal valley. If you go all the way up there, it might also be worth going up to the aspen area and doing slaughterhouse. Depending on flow, slaughterhouse is in the IV to maybe IV+ range.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #19
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Pretty good list. I would say that from Upper Mish continuing down through Bridges makes for a good trip. Also, when your driving from the Front Range to the Ark or coming back, stop in Summit if you have an hour or two and run Tenmile and the Upper Blue (if it's running).

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #20
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
IMHO.....you could find a few better runs than Foxton/Waterton/Shoshone at that time of year. As everyone has mentioned, it'll be prime time around the state and there are TONS of runs that might be a little better than those three. Everything else you have listed should be awesome!

Pinnacle is good at higher flows and you should be able to couple that with the Gorge in one day if you have a tour guide (I'd be happy to paddle with you, they're "in my back yard").

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote