Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-24-2009   #1
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
First off Hi there.. New boater looking to practice.

Hey all another new boater here. I just took the lake intro class with Confluence Kayaks on Sat and had a great time. Mike was our instructor and I think we wore him out. I did claim the title of "most skilled swimmer" but that just means I was doing something (I think). I am comfortable with every part of the class except my roll. I am thinking of renting a boat for a weekend with gear and heading down to cherry creek near the beach to continue with more training. The GF's 16 year old agreed to be my spotter so I don't have to wet exit every 10 minutes and start over on roll practice. I will have him wear a PFD and a old Lacross helm we have to protect him from me, not that I flail the paddle around.

Is Confluence Kayaks the way to go with renting gear for a practice session like this? Their Friday to Monday rental of boat and gear for $100 isn't too painful. I could get some Practice Fri, Sat, and Sun that way.

Would anyone who also wants to practice their rolls want to meet me down there to mess around in a couple weekends? I'm game for meeting other boaters. I figure if I have not sat in the boat for 5 hours and am not so fatigued I can just focus on putting the roll components together and get it.

Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #2
denver/Aurora, Colorado
Hey Swank,

I was out at that class with you I am the other Mike that brought my own boat. For the record I spent quite a bit of time swimming as well. I live right by Cherry Creek and have Sat morning/afternoon open if you want to practice your rolls. I need some practice as well. Give me a call at 303-653-8268 or email at siren84@hotmail.com if you want to practice Saturday

siren84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #3
Aurora, Colorado
Cool I was smacking myself in the forehead for not getting info from you folks in the class after I left. What better people to practice with than people who also need the practice.

I cannot rent a boat this weekend because I need to wait for the first for more $ (sigh) but I would still be willing to head down there to assist ya.
Old 07-03-2009   #4
Aurora, Colorado
I was out there at Cherry Creek State Park today (3rd) in a rented superfun working on my rolls and I have pulled off my first solo roll. My roll was a bit of a muscled sweep/back deck with some but not enough hip snap in it. I still need to do like 100 more. I am going back out there early tomorrow the 4th and most likely the 5th also since the boat has to be returned by 5pm on Sun. The Superfun is so much easier to roll than the Jefe Grande I had for the class. It's also a thousand times more comfortable.

If anyone is interested in some flat water roll practice with me on either of those days just shoot me a PM here on the forums.

YAY I rolled.
Old 07-03-2009   #5
B.F.E., Wyoming
The Grande really should be a lot easier to roll considering the lack of edges. Were you the right size for the boat?
And the Bad ass Outfitting should be the most comfortable outfitting ever, once adjusted right.
Don't let that be a bad experience to turn you away from Liquid Logic.
And good job on the roll
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #6
Aurora, Colorado
After watching some more youtube videos I'd say it wasn't at all any form of backdeck roll but just a sweep roll.

I'm probably going to be leaning toward playing as my boating improves so I'm trying to learn in what I'll likely be paddling. Nothing against liquid logic I will probably demo their cross boat also before I decide to buy one.