Mountain Buzz banner

First Descents?

11K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  kclowe 
#1 ·
My buddy and I would like your help. We believe that we have some first descents for an innertube but do not want to jump to any conclusions. I am aware of Rolf Ronnekleiv who ran Rigor but my information stops there. It would help us out if you could tell us about any other runs that tubers have made. Here is our list of possible first descents:

Pine Creek Rapid (Arkansas)
Poudre Park (Poudre)
Lower Narrows (Poudre, put in at the bridge)
Spencer Heights (Poudre, put in at the base of the falls)
Big South (Poudre, Slideways, Tubular Balls, The Rush with a portage on the first drop)
Lower Clear Creek (From the base of Rigo to Coors, portage the dam)
Black Rock (Clear Creek, including Black Rock, Narrows, and Rigo)
Upper Clear Creek
Left Hand Creek
Lower North Saint Vrain (Primarily the upper section from Button Rock to the 80 RD Bridge)

The rest of our runs we are pretty sure they have been done but for the curious:
Boulder Creek
Upper Boulder Creek
Confluence (South Platte)
The Numbers (Arkansas)
Brown's Canyon (Arkansas, through the Stone Bridge take out)
Lower Mishawaka (Poudre)

Thank you for helping us figure this out.

Due to other obligations we only have two more runs planned this season:
Gore Canyon
Bailey

If anyone would like to run with us, we would love to have you along. Bailey will within a week and the Gore in August (if not sooner).

See less See more
#3 ·
Pretty sure Sam Wright had some of the tube first d's in the area 93-95. I will try to find the pictures of him running LSB (the brain and the dam).
He also ran most everything on the poudre, Bailey, and 11 mile (i think). But he ran a few mystery creeks around the area as well. I will try to get ahold of him.

#5 ·
My buddies and I ran pretty much everything in tubes on the Poudre, Bear Creek and Bailey in 95-96. We also ran the south platte from chatfield past confluenza on tubes in 98 (I cant remember if we walked around union or just "scouted" it). I can get colaboration if needed but of course if they do count I dont want it to be known that I was that stupid.

-aaron

#6 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll take you all for you word, there is no need to get colaboration. Could you please be specific about which parts of the poudre were run. We are trying to set up a tube first D database and need to know. Full names would help us out greatly. If anyone can report any other tube first D's for other rivers that would also be helpful.

#8 ·
tube dudes, you guys should seriously consider acquiring some sponsors. maybe you have. Put some sweet logos on the tubes, with some special roof racks and all, you could probably sell the crap out of some stickers. With the number of tubers I saw on the lower poudre the other day, somebody could be making a killing. ratio of tubers to kayakers 1000-1

#10 ·
tubing mentality?

these posts continue to amaze me. i can't begin to ponder why one would choose to tube/swim through rigor m.

it seems to me only a matter of time before one of you guys bites the dust.

hope you're using helmets/pfd's/safety.

seems like a complete lack of respect for the water to willingly swim through rigor.

i'm curious. did any of your group doing your first decents actually stay on your tube through the rapid?

#12 ·
well - i don't mean to vibe for the sake of vibing, but just like when someone cuts you off on the highway, sometimes people should be let others know if they're behavior boarders on reckless and they may be oblivious. thats great for them if they can swim strong. they'll need it! - i don't mean to judge as i'm way far away from runnig rigor, and am often humbled by much easier water.

my ego gets continually bashed, but as humble as i could be, like David Carradine as Kwai Chang Caine from the old 80's TV show kung fu, i still think it's crazy to swim thru these rapids, and as strong as they could be - it seems to be a plan bound for disaster. i hope they prove me wrong, and we can all get rid of these expensive plastic boats, grab some budwisers, and jump in with swimsuits and old nikes on.

its kind of like when i'm in eldo, and see some rock master soloing a difficult route. it's cool in many ways, but i hope to never seem them eat shit, and ruin this wonderful place with memories of broken bones and blood. the real difference is these soloists are true badasses, and are obviously well in control of the situation. Now dudes in a tube, getting thrashed in big holes . . . .not so sure about how much control that portrays. doesn't quite exude confidence from the posts i've been wasting my time reading.

i guess as long as they are having fun, and i don't have to see a thrashing cause they are bomb swimmers, and their behavior doesn't stir up trouble for the rest of us, what the F should i care?

#13 ·
Thanks Brayn. To Steve Kahn, I really do not want to go through this again. If you want to fight, just read the Extreme Tubing and Tube II threads. Everything is explained there.

We only count a run if we remain upright the entire time. That is like not having to do a roll the whole time for kayakers. For instance, this past weekend we ran the Lower Narrows. One the first run, my buddy flipped/rolled while I did not. We hiked back up to the top and did it again so he could count it. We cleaned it. In fact, that was our only roll/swim all day.

On another note, I am looking for someone to run Bailey with this Sunday. I have not made this run yet and want to go with a boater familiar with the run. If you are interested please let me know. Thanks

#15 ·
I know we will just have disagree on this but I can see your point if the tube became completely separated from me. But since 99% of the time I have a hold of the tube the entire "swim" and that it only lasts 1 or 2 seconds I feel you are incorrect. I would encourge you to try a run with us and then see why we feel there is a difference. I am in no way saying that it is not easier (more likely) to swim for us, I'm just saying that just because we flip does not necessarily mean that we swim. But with all seriousness, lets not do this again.

#16 ·
tubers

tuber dudes - no fight here. i would never spar with one who has huge brass balls that lets him risk swimming class V terrain, with or without a tube to hold on to.

sounds like you've bagged a ton of tough runs, so perhaps i'm full of shit. come on though - this is the most interesting ridiculous stupid time wasting idiotic buzz crap i've seen since the M-wave debacle.

hey thats a thought - maybe you could go find the M-wave (if its still there), start the tuber-buzz, have pro's vibe non-pros, discuss it at length, step on as many toes as people who have stepped on yours (me included) and have a whole big pow wow about a drainage ditch in some farmers field.

maybe after that you can put up 50 more posts on the best way to ship tubes?

now THAT might be interesting and worth 3 posts when i should be working!

#21 ·
I'm with steve here, I pulled a guber chic out of upper mish last night, luckily she was cute...nothin like immasculating her boyfriend. She was gettin her ass kicked and flushed all over, her friends bailed out way above her, trying to stand in the middle of the river the whole time. They figured out it was pretty stupid after that. Extreme tubing...uh..yah...durrr

Justin, NRS just came out with tubes...huh-huh i said tubes. check it:

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1770

not sure how you could stash your safety kit in it though, looks better for hauling a cooler.

#23 ·
Our proof is with Film the Rockies. His buzz handle is Flim_Maker. He will post your proof as soon as he can. Poudre Falls...mankster, seriously now. When you have to resort to lying you're nobodies better.
And yes, as I posted under the Gore sticky, barring any major longboarding injuries, there will be two of us at Gore for the Sat. race. I look forward to meeting some of you in person. And seriously, will anyone run Bailey with me on Sunday?

#24 ·
Re: tubing mentality?

I know these guys and they are doing the right things - wearing two wetsuits for impact protection/cold protection/ and floatation, helmet, pfd, throw bag and appropriate footwear. They are both collegiate swimmers, and they have gradually built up their abilities on progressively harder sections of rivers. They don't bring beer on the river or drink before going.

As a commercial raft guide with over 5,000 miles when I first heard about them I thought - these guys are crazy. But after getting to know the real story I have a lot of respect for them and what they do. Kayak, raft or tube – it is really about knowing your abilities and being properly prepared for what you are doing.

#26 ·
I hate to get into this as I feel i am sulling my self. But between 76 and 78 my cousin and I ran most of the N. Fork of the Payette in tubes. During the fall the water was still warm and quite low. We got the tubes from my uncles discard pile at his ranch. I wore cut offs a t-shirt and high top chuckies(did'nt want to twist and ankle) and water ski vest. We had a small tube with an old aluminum coleman cooler packed with 3.2 Coors. We did portage a fair bit .

We would leave Sweet in the morning. Drive thru High Valley then down to Couger Mountain lodge. And pick up were we left off. Then go back thru Horseshoe Bend and hit the Triangle for more beer.

So anyway tube1 this be the digital age. And I am CALLING BULL SHIT. Show some pics or pucker up and Kiss all of my ass. Becuse you are about 2 generations past edgy on this. sj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.