Old 07-16-2005   #1
First Descents?

My buddy and I would like your help. We believe that we have some first descents for an innertube but do not want to jump to any conclusions. I am aware of Rolf Ronnekleiv who ran Rigor but my information stops there. It would help us out if you could tell us about any other runs that tubers have made. Here is our list of possible first descents:

Pine Creek Rapid (Arkansas)
Poudre Park (Poudre)
Lower Narrows (Poudre, put in at the bridge)
Spencer Heights (Poudre, put in at the base of the falls)
Big South (Poudre, Slideways, Tubular Balls, The Rush with a portage on the first drop)
Lower Clear Creek (From the base of Rigo to Coors, portage the dam)
Black Rock (Clear Creek, including Black Rock, Narrows, and Rigo)
Upper Clear Creek
Left Hand Creek
Lower North Saint Vrain (Primarily the upper section from Button Rock to the 80 RD Bridge)

The rest of our runs we are pretty sure they have been done but for the curious:
Boulder Creek
Upper Boulder Creek
Confluence (South Platte)
The Numbers (Arkansas)
Brown's Canyon (Arkansas, through the Stone Bridge take out)
Lower Mishawaka (Poudre)

Thank you for helping us figure this out.

Due to other obligations we only have two more runs planned this season:
Gore Canyon

If anyone would like to run with us, we would love to have you along. Bailey will within a week and the Gore in August (if not sooner).

Tube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005   #2
i would walk around gore you don't wanna swim that rapid, also you may look at waterton canyon he have done all of the south plate near foxton except waterton but my dad tubed waterton 50 years ago

Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005   #3
Pretty sure Sam Wright had some of the tube first d's in the area 93-95. I will try to find the pictures of him running LSB (the brain and the dam).
He also ran most everything on the poudre, Bailey, and 11 mile (i think). But he ran a few mystery creeks around the area as well. I will try to get ahold of him.
mankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005   #4
Ski Patrol
I recomend the Crystal Gorge for a 1'st Decent in a tube.

Be safe and good luck
DeLiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005   #5
ski/kayak bum
My buddies and I ran pretty much everything in tubes on the Poudre, Bear Creek and Bailey in 95-96. We also ran the south platte from chatfield past confluenza on tubes in 98 (I cant remember if we walked around union or just "scouted" it). I can get colaboration if needed but of course if they do count I dont want it to be known that I was that stupid.

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005   #6
Thanks for the input. I'll take you all for you word, there is no need to get colaboration. Could you please be specific about which parts of the poudre were run. We are trying to set up a tube first D database and need to know. Full names would help us out greatly. If anyone can report any other tube first D's for other rivers that would also be helpful.
Tube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005   #7
TV Producer
TUBE 1 - Thanks for the footage this weekend on Poudre & Big South. I'll Post some pics soon...
Film_Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #8
tube dudes, you guys should seriously consider acquiring some sponsors. maybe you have. Put some sweet logos on the tubes, with some special roof racks and all, you could probably sell the crap out of some stickers. With the number of tubers I saw on the lower poudre the other day, somebody could be making a killing. ratio of tubers to kayakers 1000-1
mankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #9
I'm sure some idiot has floated down all those runs on a tube at some point.
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #10
tubing mentality?

these posts continue to amaze me. i can't begin to ponder why one would choose to tube/swim through rigor m.

it seems to me only a matter of time before one of you guys bites the dust.

hope you're using helmets/pfd's/safety.

seems like a complete lack of respect for the water to willingly swim through rigor.

i'm curious. did any of your group doing your first decents actually stay on your tube through the rapid?

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote