Mountain Buzz banner

First Descents?

11K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  kclowe 
#1 ·
My buddy and I would like your help. We believe that we have some first descents for an innertube but do not want to jump to any conclusions. I am aware of Rolf Ronnekleiv who ran Rigor but my information stops there. It would help us out if you could tell us about any other runs that tubers have made. Here is our list of possible first descents:

Pine Creek Rapid (Arkansas)
Poudre Park (Poudre)
Lower Narrows (Poudre, put in at the bridge)
Spencer Heights (Poudre, put in at the base of the falls)
Big South (Poudre, Slideways, Tubular Balls, The Rush with a portage on the first drop)
Lower Clear Creek (From the base of Rigo to Coors, portage the dam)
Black Rock (Clear Creek, including Black Rock, Narrows, and Rigo)
Upper Clear Creek
Left Hand Creek
Lower North Saint Vrain (Primarily the upper section from Button Rock to the 80 RD Bridge)

The rest of our runs we are pretty sure they have been done but for the curious:
Boulder Creek
Upper Boulder Creek
Confluence (South Platte)
The Numbers (Arkansas)
Brown's Canyon (Arkansas, through the Stone Bridge take out)
Lower Mishawaka (Poudre)

Thank you for helping us figure this out.

Due to other obligations we only have two more runs planned this season:
Gore Canyon
Bailey

If anyone would like to run with us, we would love to have you along. Bailey will within a week and the Gore in August (if not sooner).

See less See more
#27 ·
am i the only one that sees a tragedy forming?

i don't want to be the heavy, but man you will come to a point where you are going to push the limits of what a tube can safely do. Please buy a kayak. I have an old micro 230 that I repaired. it needs a seat and it isn't pretty, but you can have it. i'll even teach you to roll- i am ACA certified.

maybe I am being naive about your abilities with car parts, but there has been enough needless loss.

PM me if you want the boat.

Steve.

#28 ·
I have tube black rock through golden. Didn't style rigo like rolf but ran everything. I've done waterton, foxton and south platte. I know gore has been tubed and everything on upper clear creek. The rest who knows. Sounds like a fun mission. Steve stop being a little bitch and go clean something already.

Gary

#29 ·
Gary I used to respect you, but now that I hear about your relationship with rubber... I don't know.

Although you are the only one I've ever met who has boated usb with (1) or (2) broken ankles and a broken boat.

Give a man a break it's been a tough winter round here. Tubing sounds like bringing Chorter to a cage match as a tag team partner. Why take the chance.

Steve.

#32 ·
I believe Raftus was speaking about their river practices, not making a grand statement about their lives in general and unless you're a complete dumb shit, you know that too.

People from all walks of life commit suicide and it's really not your business what tubers, kayakers or rafters do in their personal life if it's not affecting you. These tubers are being responsible on the water. That was the point. This is a boating forum, not a morons-make-a-judgement-about-someones-personal-life forum.

Have a little respect man, that was someone's friend (trolling or not).

Now go lick your sweaty balls yourself before you're inclined to make another thoughtless post.

#33 ·
Steve you sorry little bitch. Get your ass outside and clean lime creek, do some maintanance on no name creek and make sure Vallecito is ready for 2007. I think you need to start tubing and learn how the real men read water. Cause the way you boat, we all know, you sure as hell can't read water. Glad you're doing well bro, hope all is great with the fam. Shoot me an email--chokeuout9@yahoo.com

Also JJ is a total puss, so you hit that one on the head. The boy can boat-- but he turtles up almost instantly when you swat him around a little.

It was a broken left leg and ankle, along with the boat. Bad day, very bad day. Some ugly shit, thanks for the help on that one.

Gary

#35 ·
In respose to the previous thread "these guys are collegiate swimmers".

Someone will know the details on this. About 10 yesrs ago a navy seal on vacation was jumping off one of the cliff diving walls on the paddle out in westwaterwithout a vest. He went under and never came back up. Point of the story is the strongest swimmer in the world is no match for the water if they don't understand how hydrolics work and how to use the river to your advantage.

Is this an urban legend? Anyone remember the details?

Thanks,
Ken

#39 ·
semi-related to this thread;I was reading a sailing magazine that had an article about South African Mike Horn's exploits,on par with Rhienhold Messner's.All types of extreme expeditions,circumventing the equator by human powered and non motorized craft,sailing records,solo polar exploration ,etc.. One of his feats was the world hydrospeed waterfall record A 60+ footer on the Colca river Peru,and he ran the class V canyon one of the deepest in the world.Isn't hydrospeed just what Euros call a riverboard or is there more to it?

THE THREAD THAT WOULD NOT DIE

#44 ·
you guys need to see ben stokesberry's latest video. it is" no big names #4" i think. there were some guys down in central or south america running some really big falls on these things that looked like two small pontoons side by side.they were about five or six feet long. they laid down on them head first and paddled with their hands and feet. these guys ran some crazy falls and actually fared better than some guys in kayaks. basically these guys ran things i wouldn't even think about running. props to you guys who want to run stuff on inner tubes. i think that if you scout and you know your own abilities you set safety like any other boaters and you make your own judgement calls as to whether or not to run something then nobody should be putting you down for what you do. ultimately it is up to you to be safe. you guys probably know better than any of us kayakers how an inner tube handles in different situations. i don't doubt that you guys can run some of the harder drops and rapids that kayakers run, but i feel that you should be cautious in drops that require any big moves from one side of the river to the other, or very technical rapids. i just think that you could not possibly have the manueverability and speed of a kayak. but like i said earlier it is up to you what you want to run. you know people 20 years ago would not believe what people are running in kayaks today. maybe 20 years from now nobody will believe what people are running on inner tubes.

#45 ·
Those guys were running huge granite slides in Brasil,Ben said they don't run vertical falls,but they still have serious guts. I agree with the last post I respect these tubers rights and guts,but you simply don't have much control on really technical stuff,be careful.

#46 ·
Crazy?

If you are the guys who ran the gore race last year, I have to say I loved it! My family and friends all think I am nuts for kayaking. Maybe tubing isn't far behind. If you survive the race again this year, come by the beer tent. I'll hook you up with a brew! I wouldn't run anything on a tube, but it makes for a very cool video! I also wanted to give you kudos for donning the protective gear. It sets a good example for all the red-necked, beer guzzling, barefoot tubers I see around with no pfd's. Now THAT is crazy!

live the dream!

Kim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.