Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-12-2006   #71
Its a forum where you TALK about kayaking and other stuff.If you think about it half the fun of most hobbies is shootin' trhe shit with your buddies,everybody on this forum obviously thinks about kayaking alot and likes reading/talking about it.I have always been a map/geography -adventure travel freak/geek ,exploring that way is a cool hobby unto itself.That said all talk and no action is weak.
It sounds like Yeti has been running some obscure stuff,albeit easy.Soloing something committing with at least some UNKNOWN even if its 2-3 can be more exciting than runnin' the same old class 4,especially if its wilderness or a thirdworld country or both.Some of us aren't class 5 boaters but still like exploring shit, it's hard to find people to explore with.My less skilled bros don't want to go 'cause it might be dangerous and my class 5 bros don't want to do all that work for something that might be lame.Some people are explorers most aren't,props to the Todd G.'S,Cutch's,and Chamberlain Bros.{all you need is a pair of Varnets and a K-mart raft} of the world.and more power to the armchair warriors too.

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #72
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972

Dave Pizzutti and I did the first D of Tarryall Creek about four years ago. It starts out nice and easy class III, then if drops off the edge of the earth with big drops that we ran at the top, becoming increasingly manky, with kickass v+ drops that seemed to always end in a yawning undercut, sieve, etc. We nicknamed this creek "Carryall Creek". The put in is across private property, and the landowners up there like to shoot their guns. Hell of a shuttle too, but hey, first D's are often a hell of a lot more work than they are glorious.
In a way I agree with passing along knowledge of first d's, but remember that there are alot of idiots out there with all the gear and no brains or experience who will go out and kill themselves after trespassing and totally pissing off locals, so make sure to consider that when dropping all the beta on the public forum!

Paddle on and stay alive!

chuckthdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #73
There's footage in an old school video called Paddlemania that has some guys running Tarryall. Judging by the boats, I'd say it was mid-nineties. And it may or may not have been the same section you ran. But props nonetheless. You're still in an exclusive club. The doers.
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #74
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
That was us in all those Paddlemania videos, including that Tarryall footage. That must have been late nineties. Thanks for reminding me of my age! I think I will make a cane outta my paddle! I think I was paddling an orange gravity, something like that. Jeezus.
chuckthdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #75
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Tom- east inlet it still snowed in. Since its within the National Park, rules are boating is allowed, but to be consious of the tourists and NO CUTTING. So back to z-drags and pulling. When it starts melting I'll let you know.

Hit up 5th street with Berry this afternoon, the wave is rocking.

Kyle- I'll be in Denver in a week, I'm looking to go get on Baily if your interested. Then up to Estes Park, and Rocky MTN National.

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #76
Thanks Josh,

Could be an epic!
Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #77
Hey Chuckthedog and /or other Cheeseman Veterans,
What is the section from Coral creek takeout to the old takeout[Cheeseman} like?All the tough rapids named in CRC are above this,but it is implied that there is more Lost Creek Wilderness type boating downstream{river sieves out and goes under boulders and shiat}.is it 3-4 with some portages?Good boaters probably consider it boogie water or runout,could it be a run on its own for adventurous class 4 boater looking for obscure stuff?Also if one carried up to Tarryall are ther some decent drops close to the cofluence,how much farther is Slide for Life?

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006   #78
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
to clarify-- into the dolores---
have not heard of a descent of stoner crk. it would be a few miles bushwhack down into the top from the nearest rd. for the lower 7 miles. looks like others in the area, fast 4 with wood. upper snow spur has been run . small roadside mank below lizardhead. upper e. fk has potential with a big hike-in. we ran lost trail into the dolores [comes into the river just below the early-season dolores town wave] last year and it was class 2. wilderness 4 miles with only a few wood portages. very scenic. the gem here is the 2 miles or so above rico.

into the san miguel---
bear ck. into town park [telluride] is mostly VI falls, with more potential if it got flushed. we only ran the bottom 1/3 mile or so, including the last falls. we did it late summer when the levels were low. super narrow gorge. almost silly. the late russell kelly got this one. lake fk. into the s. fk has not been run, but has an 80 and a 40 footer that are probably no good, but not sure. the falls look good, but unsure of the landing. below is a small gorge that may have potential when high. hard to get into. lower howard's fk. into the s. fk. has about 2/3 mile of manky 4-5. fun hi. the section of the howard's fk. between the hiway and ames is on the top end of class VI. crazy falls in a crazy gorge. unrunnable? hope ck. and wilson crk. could have potential for short sections, but tough access and most likely full of wood. upper bilk has the cool, crazy shit. drive up to sunshine mesa and hike up a couple miles and have at it. fun to look at this huge, marginally runnable stuff. lower mile of bilk into the miguel is fast manky 5 at hi flows. deep creek has not been run. has a short section about 2/3 mile up from the confluence that could go--very small though. leopard ck. into placerville has 2 sets of falls, roughly 3 and 5 miles up, alongside the road. the lower has seen a few hi water descents, the upper none as of yet. the gem[s] [i use that term loosely] here are the keystone runs [main san mig]. the lower 2 miles into the confluence with the south fork starts off at class 5, with a cool move around a huge boulder and gradually mellows. put-in as hi as you see fit. we are slowly working our way up this big cascade. the top keystone is class VI at hi water, and has only seen a couple of descents at lower late summer levels. yeti--keep searching--i enjoy your findings and would love to hike in to tabaguache with you sometime. have a feeling it will be like horsefly----wwwooooodddddd. if people want to explore new runs, and even not run them, just write about them, who cares? good for them. the people who let that bother them are feeling their own insecurities about what they do or do not do. do whatever the hell you want, boat or not, easy or hard, just be okay with what you do. i spent 1/2 hour writing this because i enjoy talking about new kayaking runs, easy mank or not. i am in idaho on a 2-week tour [selway, top loon ck. to middle fk, n.fk payette [5000!], boise wave, bladder, etc.] so please-- no one tell me i should not be writing this and out boating instead.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006   #79
When you guys decide to go run tabaguache let me know. I'll go with ya. I scoped it out pretty well. It's an easy road access at the top with just a little walking down in. The first drop from the road could be wild.
Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006   #80
There is about a .6 mile section on Geneva Creek in the middle of where Scott Gomer comes in that would go. Its a roadside class V boulder stream. There is a pull off right as the road starts going up the switch backs that I think would be the best put in. It needs to be cleaned of wood as there are about 6 trees down all the way accross the river here. If anyone has any interest in cleaning it out with me let me know. It is a Fen (I think thats what they call it) stream so there is agood amount of Iron in the water, but it looks like it would be a fun and you could do laps on it. There is about .4 miles of really steep stuff above this that might also go, but its too steep for me. Its probably getting close to having enough water in it right now. Its very close to the Bailey put in. Below this section looks like mostly class III.

I did a hike up Scott Gomer also and it might go, but its pretty small has tons of WOOD.

lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote