Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-11-2006   #61
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I thenk I ran in tu yur sisturs befur, deys missin der teefers an ignerant as meel wurmz. But deys sur sux a gud willy. (I noes you noes dat) Ah man, sory bout dis'n on yur biatch of a sistur but da biatch takes a turd like da hood yur talkin bout. So eat shit, MO man! Yeti is a free soul to do as he pleases and most of us Coloradans will back him and I don't even know him.

TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #62
You guys know he is a troll, right? Look at the number of posts, etc.

Yeti don't question posting the work you've done, it's good stuff.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. - Helen Keller
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #63
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Yeti, You've made some friends on this topic, though the hate just seems to pop up from somewhere. I'm heading for Estes Park next week, so Ill be keeping an eye on decents in the area. If you still want to check out the east inlet, let me know, I know I do. When the pass opens up and things start running, Ill give you a ring.

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #64
Durango, Colorado

I hiked up past Flint Creek to the confluence of the Sierra Vondera and the Pinos. I saw the waterfall - it's about a 30-40 footer or so. Don't think it's runable due to a bouldery LZ. Anyway, the runable portions look great. No doubt a hefty hike is in the order for a run.
I did a first ascent on the Popes Nose (up Flint Creek, 1,000 + granite wall) couple of summers ago, and that took a couple of trips of stashing gear and food. I'm thinking the same type of approch may be in the order for the first D of the Pinos.

Any beta you can throw out???
DES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #65
I've had a good look at Cow Creek, the forks of the Cimarron and a bunch of the stuff up along the Delores and San Miguel. I've seen a lot of stuff that could be awesome if you invested a huge amount of time with a chain saw. I guess I'm just to lazy.

Took a shot at the Little Cimarron. It's to small to clear out the wood and just thick with the stuff.

We've run sections of the Blue down toward the Gunnison. It's a wood fest.

Soap creek is a fun run. Not real difficult. Lots of wood. Good fishing.

Cebolla Creek was nice and easy. Too developed now.

We ran Horsefly Creek a few years ago. It's a beautiful valley and we saw lots of wildlife, but again, it was a wood fest. It seemed like every good class IV & V drop was choked with wood. We were able to run a few good rapids, but mostly a wood portage fest.

Same problem with Tabaguache. It seems like the back side of the Unc. Plateau is just thick with downed trees. Something about the nature of the steep valleys with unstable clay soil. Those damn trees just jump in the water every time it rains.

I did find several short sections of super low volume creeks in the San Juans that would justify some photo-shoot decents. Beautiful slide and spout falls. Sort of like the stuff way up high on Daisy Creek. Usually they are just sections of two or three hundred feet then some hidious obsticle.

Domingues has been run. Bad ratio of thrashing to good stuff.

Little D. to Westwater was absolutely fantastic at the beginning and end, with miles of irrigation ditch boating in between and very tough access issues.

Roubideau starts out with a great bit of class IV and V then degrades into a long wandering canal full of fences and trees. It would still be worth it if it wasn't for the huge long carry in.

Leroux Creek is great when it's clean. It's not now. Very intense, non-stop, eddyless class V. Needs work with a chainsaw, but very hard to do because of access issues. I have seen some amazing carnage there.

Surface Creek was mostly class III manky with lots of fences and brush.

Terror Creek was absolutely terrifying. Barry & I took turns getting each other out from under logs. Incredibly steep, some fences too. Bad access. I would never do it again.

Hubbard it pretty good with a lot of water. Of all the runs along the South side of Grand Mesa it's probably the best overall option. One or two really dangerous spots. Scout well.

Muddy above Paonia Res is great gnarly class V at high water. Short. Some fence and bridge issues.

The Ruby Fork of Anthracite Creek is one of the most spectacular runs in the state. Beautiful river, valley, wilderness, views. Lots of class V and V+ and some serious must make eddies above portages. We put in where Kebler crosses the creek.

We took a shot at Calamity Creek last year. I'm not sure Charlie will ever boat with me again. Nor will he ever drink tequila with me either. What a thrashing. Not recommended. We ended up rock climbing and hiking miles through the desert....with our boats. There is one 200 foot section that would be great to run for a video.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope it helps.
Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #66
The irony of this neverending thread, is that everyone will talk about all of the sick shit that is out there that might be runnable, or should be run, or whatever, and yet, at the end of the season it will still be the same handful of paddling crews that will actually get out there and explore something new. Meanwhile, everyone else can read this and then when someone actually runs it claim, "I heard of that first, and was going to do it..."

My two cents, just go do it. Load up for a mission, bring the camera, and at the end of the trip you will have either stumbled across a classic (class III counts), or more likely end up with a great story about an epic adventure with friends.

Sorry if this post is cruel. It just blows my mind that this thread has reached 5 pages in length, but there isn't a single actual paddling trip being set up through all of this effort. Shit, we had trouble finding a grand total of 4 people to run the Brazos last week, and that isn't even a new run. To think that I was originally concerned about having too many...

Quit talking, go paddle. The adventure will be worth your time, regardless of if you even get in your boat.

Tom, thanks for showing me the true adventurous spirit of kayaking at a young age. Props to exploration and those that actually get out there and do it.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #67
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
..........crystal creek into crystal res.....crystal res spits water into the black canyon.........this one doesn't drop like the other tribs.....it takes it's time.........granite.... small window...... gradient unlike blue creek, pine creek and curicante creek(most boatable)......tom? barry? banker? melnick?larsen?siknick?TG?...............J R 420 cb
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #68
Hey Kyle thanks. And thanks for callin' us Chamberlain's "Old School." I know... it's true. Running waterfalls and surfacing under wood piles is a bit trendy for me. But don't worry. People are gettin' out to paddle. And remember: the more they sit around chatting, the less crowded it will be out there!

Hey Canyoneering Mike, thanks for all the beta. We have to talk. Jeff and I did a canyoneering decent of Bear Creek above Red Mountain Pass a few years back and it's a must for you guys. You just hike a few miles up the Bear Creek trail until you can walk into the gorge headed back to the highway. It has tons of rappels up to 100' and a lot of them require rapping right down the middle of several water falls. What a blast. Very cold, even with wet suits. No bolts, all slings, big fun. Do it as low as poss.

Someone mentioned Curricanti Creek. I ran the upper part of that years ago and it was lame. Lots of beaver dam boofs, but the lower stuff looks totally sick...but marginally possible. Has anyone banged down that thing? I would love to be along....with my camera....after all I'm OLD SCHOOL!

That said; Yeti, Steve, Kyle...lets go get on that east inlet shit! Wow! When will that thing melt out and be ready?

Tom "the fossil" Chamberlain
Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #69
Dude, be proud. The Chamberlain's are lifelong legends in the early colorado days. And...foot in mouth...I appologize for calling you old school. Guess I still just remember seeing you guys as idols in Meltdown Madness, and half of the people here don't even know what that is.

Uncrowded rivers are great...until I have to solo the ones next to the busiest commercially rafted section in the state! That is where the all talk no paddle gets annoying. I hate paddling solo.

Look forward to seeing you on the river this year...
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #70
yeti not to throw more fule on the fire, but there is way to much out there to "talk" about so im gonna have to agree with kyle. Y dont u get out there and paddle something! anything! i was as the gunnie play park today i didnt see u down there! dont get me wrong but listen most paddlers out there know the scope of the "first D" sceen and its cool and all but its not about that! its about KAYAKING being on the river with ur friends. shooting the chit! but thats my little rant maybe ill see u at the OB race or maybe even the upper east tomarrow?

kurfothich is offline   Reply With Quote