Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-05-2005   #41
Hey Yeti,
Is the software you are using only the US ,or can you get it for other countries?I do the same thing we are doing here for northern Central America and southern Mexico,obsessively scour maps for potential runs.For most of it there aren't even topos just shaded relief maps,actually my best source of info is travel guide books like Lonely Planet,they go to off the beaten path villages and frequently the only attraction is some hike to waterfalls and swimming holes.If it sounds promising i go there and check it out,worst case scenario you get a good hike and swim in some obscure tropical locale.
Some primo spots to check out are;Parque Nacional El Impossible and Tacuba ,El Salvador,close to Guat. border source of 8 rivers and the hike is decribed as passing countless waterfalls + you can see the Pacific surf nearby;Cooperativa Rio Azul ,Guatemala decribed as reminiscent of Agua Azul,travertine staircase.;Union Juarez ,Mexico,drains Tacana Volcano{13,er}Upr. Suchiate river,upr .Rio Izapa{have scouted lower 3-4 part},and hikes to Cascadas Muxbal and cascadas Rio Mala this area supposedly gets 200 inches of rain annually.;Cerro San GIL,GUAT.,3500 FT . mtn.,summit like 10 miles from Carribean,also gets 200 " of rain ,drained by several rivers.I am going to scout and possibly run Rio Las Escobas,hike has 14 or 18 waterfalls,also nearby Las Siete Altares,7 falls into poolsright by the sea,usually too low.;Cockscomb basin Jaguar preserve headwaters of So. Stann crk.,Swasey Branch,and Sittee rivers; and finally around San Antonio Belize ,area gets 150" of precip.,numerous creeks drain highest divide of the Maya mtns.,have hucked a 15 footer and know of a 17-18 ftr. nearby park and huck.Also Rio on and Privassion crk. drainages into yhe Macal gorge,also Sibun gorge. Anybody ever been to any of these places{could have rattled off some more in Honduras},sorry for ramblin ,I just love this shit.

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005   #42
CB Creeks

Yetti, we should hook up in the gunny area, i have done some hiking around the anthracite area. NFA never materializes and dosen't have the flow. Got a good look up Middle A but didn't have the light to expleor more. Have you been into the Middle A or Ant creek zones. Both have potential and I have heard rumers form fishermen aswell and people flying overther thaty there is a OBJ style creek with some long slides and small falls 10 to 20 footer.
Any thoughts on that area.

Did some hiking up in the Coal Creek Zone, Cascade,Cliff, Willow. Didn't look like they could hold much water and they were to tight to boat in a few spots. din't hkie any one of them extensively though.

The drop above the Upper East puting is called Early Bird Falls and was run afew years back by Clay Wright and John Banker Crew. It is fine but the landing to the drop is pretty shalow so watch yourself.

Sections of the Upper Ruby A have been run but there is a lot of woold and ther drops are rugged.
If anyone really wants to get after it and the snowmelt works out right for you there are some big boys up above the upper dasie section. Huge steep slides and a sketchy 30 footer. you cna see most of them from the road.
Great to see people talking about new runs in CO.

Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #43
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
daisy has always been a favorite of mine, i think with all its potential, its a classic and few people realize it. there is some sweeet stuff up there.

as for the Anthracite Zone- never been in there, was planning to do some exploring next spring/summer in that area. Wouldnt surprise me to find OBJ style as it is just over the mtns from it. itd be a long hike in though.

the Upper Navajo and East Fork Navajo continue to interest me more. I google earth'd em both and theres good looking gorges on each one, with a more than adequate drainage basin. Access, man, access. shitty. I still want to go exploring.
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #44
student of many trades master of few
Send a message via AIM to Squints Send a message via MSN to Squints Send a message via Yahoo to Squints
The creek Hobie was talking about was the N.F. of the S.F. of the Ark.
I only did about a 200 yard section it. It was alot of fun wood would defenatly be an issue. im going to put a pic up in the creeking pics

Hope all is well In colorado

Your favorite red headed step child

Corey VOlt
Squints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #45
Good stuff!

Great discussion boys! This is what a whitewater forum should be.

I was half of the Cinnamon Gorge (Lake Fk Gunni above Sherman) mission last summer. We also got a piece of Cottonwood Creek which is right next door.

Has anyone run all that Cottonwood Creek (Lake Fk Gunni tib), especially farther upstream. We ran a section of it that was pretty good. A 15'er into some more tight/nice drops. I think I added Cottonwood to the AW site. If not, I know Jeremy has some on his site: http://www.ChasingRain.com under "Nooz."

I know some folks have been running bits of Upper Upper Henson or a Henson Fork too. Sounds like at least one 50'er in there.

Keep it coming. I am taking notes. Figure it out so us east coast boys can sneak in and snag more of your First-D'zzzz.

Great stuff,
GDalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #46
God Amongst Men
Gordon- That shit was sick. I was planning on going up to the cinnamon gorge section to scout it like a week before you guys did that. when i saw that post on chasing rain, i was soooo stoked. I went up there anyway and checked it out....the two drops below the big falls themselves are intense looking. cottonwood creek has mad potential all the way to cora gulch TH. theres some gnarly woodjams from avy debris that would require portaging but there is also some really clear sections.

as far as henson goes- the upper upper is the section to look at here. there are two big falls right at the top, the first being a jagged death falls, but the second is around a 30-40' and has an awesome looking slide-runout (think the low angle log runouts on the bottoms of big drops in mtn bike parks.....if that makes any sense.....) plus some other stuff that i didnt get a good glimpse at lower. the north fork has one intense mini gorge that i havent gotten a chance to look at closely, but it may have a big falls in it.

gordon, i also need to talk to you about using a picture or two of yours in a book im working on. ill hit you up with details later.
Old 05-09-2006   #47
Breckenridge, Colorado
blue above breck

Not that great. 3 sections
1. blue lake resevoir to pond: manky slides and falls, spectacular scenery but shallow for boating

2. pond to highway: A few micro gorges with some mank some fun. Scout where the fun is before even taking your boat off your car

3. Blue River tarn to Breck Rec Center: Put in below tarn for no trouble or take chances with land owners. Paddle tarn, run spillway, couple of miles of tight bushy easy creek to maggie pond. Culverts, bushes, Texans, and the worst kayak park ive ever been to awaits downstream. Town cops dont like boaters either.
freeheelintodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #48
God Amongst Men
^ are those all on the blue? and what is the swan river like? small?

i did some small streams in the gunny/blue mesa area this weekend, not sure if theyve ever been run before. i ran about a mile of East Elk Creek, a mile of North Beaver Creek, about 3/4 of a mile of South Beaver Creek, and about 3/4 of a mile of Red Creek. very small and lots of brush bashing, but it was fun. east elk had some fun twisting log drops in it, red had a fun (but small) falls, but nobeav and sobeav were both flume like with some wood.

also, ran the lower east for the first time, what a great run. put in at cement creek and run down to almont, theres a solid class III above the highway barn bridge, and a fair amount of diversions and fish dams. great scenery too.

planning on hiking tabeguache creek this summer sometime....anyone down?
Old 05-09-2006   #49
Breckenridge, Colorado
they are all on the blue and they all pretty much suck. It makes a better hike than a kayak, and I have enjoyed some pretty poor kayak runs/levels
freeheelintodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #50
N.F South Ark

I Ran the last 200 yards on the N.F last year a few times, last run ended in shoulder dislocation. LZ is pretty shallow, but it goes. I hiked up a good mile of this creek a week ago and determined it would not be worth cleaning out. Lots of wood and the drops are not super quality. The last drop just up from the bridge @ the campground up from Maysville is worth looking at.

Kyle Hagadorn

CREEKER138 is offline   Reply With Quote