Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-02-2005   #21
The next zone, .
Here is what I know of the Ark Creeks you listed

Stay away from Ptarmigan creek, Denny Creek, Anything around Cottonwood Lake – including Morgan’s and Mineral, also Chalk for the most part – I have ran from the Cascades to the confluence of ark in a duckie, the rest of this is sooooooooooooo full of wood that you would be boating 20 yds between portages.

Your best shot at a 1st d in this area is the Cascades on Chalk or “Ruben’s” section of Middle Cottonwood. The cascades is the cascades roadside and burley but easy to scout – pretty sure nobody has ran this.

As far as Rubens section (middle cottonwood) it has to be cleaned but it is road side and would be a marginal V+ in my book if clean (so totally good to go for some). The bottom half mile or so would be ready with a couple of hrs and a chainsaw. This section does get enough water on a good water year – when I looked at it this about peak both in 04 and 05 there was plenty of water.

Also If you are looking into creeks up on the flat tops check out the drainages around Clarks Ridge / Deep Creek Point / area on the Buford or beauford sp? road – the road leaves from new castle. This stuff has potential two drainages run through box canyons and have a non peak run off of 30 or so cfs with a peak of 100 + I would figure. I would stay away from deep creek – tons-o-tons -o- wood but equally full of brook trout!

Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #22
chris menges ran the drop above gothic on the east river. footage is in "The White Album"

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #23
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
The Rio Blanco looks like it might have something doable higher up- this one may be full of brush and barbed wire though.

I have been looking at this one (and the Navajo drainage) for years, since I lived in Dgo until 2000. The middle section of the Blanco (east of the highway) is about 200 ft/mi, and there is access up a few county roads. Never had any kind of flow until this year. Sward and I discussed it, but I never got down there to check it out. This would probably have been the year to give it a go. I'd still love to check it out sometime.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #24
"Just over the divide, theres two gorges between Animas Forks and Eureka on the Upper Upper Animas, one right below A Forks, and the other right above Eureka. The Cinnamon Gorge team reported wood and mining debris; i checked the upper one this summer and it was clean except for one scary drop. I dont know about the lower one. " said yetty

jarod leon an myself ran most of this 2 summers ago. we didn't run the super slide right below A forks and the last 60-70 footer into a wall a little above eurika, though; most everything else is good to go.
Old 11-03-2005   #25
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
that slide looked waaay sketchy anyway....was the small gorge below that good?

also, another run i was looking at- Texas Creek S of Creede. Drains, like, four small creeks and a couple lakes into a small gorge. Flow, like always is an issue.

I want to know the low down on any summit county runs. Ive got my eye on a few runs up there that i dont know about.

Upper Tenmile Creek comes out of some large Climax-sponsored tailings; EPA standards are high for water released from those, but its up to you to boat or not. I dont think there is any serious whitewater on this stretch but it could be a fun fast addition to Tenmile. The Blue River above Breckenridge (above the lake just above BrecK) looks possible with a smaller volume. The Snake River has a fair amount of flow; ive heard the upper sections by Montezuma are fast, bouldery, IVish, and there might be some lower sections by Keystone that may be runnable too. Just over the hill, The river that comes out of Montgomery Res and comes down the south side of Hoosier MIGHT have something; i dont know. A side tributary called Buckskin Creek comes down from Kite Lake, and i backpacked there a few years ago. I vaugely remember there being some bedrock features in a small gorge on that creek. Anyone familiar with these?

has anyone any info on Tarryall Creek? I want to know about the 285 fpm section above the S Platte.
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #26
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I've been looking at a bunch of the Summit runs you've mentioned a couple of times. I'm especially interested in the Snake from A-Basin to Keystone. I talked to a guy who said it was pretty much all read and run IV with no eddies, but I couldn't tell if he had run it or just heard about/looked at it. Doing this stretch also may require talking to the guys at A-Basin to find out when they are releasing water from their snow-making retention pond (in the spring it may be possible to convince them to store some water up and then release it for a run, as they don't need/use any of it after the fall). The streambed around here looks pretty good but it may be necessary to go through ahead of time to clear felled trees, etc. (or portage). I was thinking of going up there before we get a lot of snow and just walking down towards Keystone (it's only a couple of miles) so as to find out if there's anything we should know about or clear away. Anyone wanna come? Anyone know if this has been run before?

From Keystone to Lake Dillon is a classic III run that is commonly run by locals after work when it runs in the spring.

Don't know much about Ten Mile above Copper, but it looks good from what I've seen. Very cold and CRC says it gets pretty steep (V) at Officer's Gulch. Don't know if it's been done very far above Officer's Gulch.

I think the Blue River at Blue River looks good, too, but should also be examined more closely. Don't know if it's been done this far up.

If anyone plans checking any of these out, I'd like to know because these are all stretches I've been wanting to do for a while.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #27
If Buckskin is the creek that flows into Alma I hiked up there about 2 years ago. I don't think it would ever get enough flow to go and I didn't really see anything that would be worth boating. I don't remember really seeing any bedrock in it. I have paddled the lower section of the snake in Keystone. Its class III with one very good wave below one of the bridges, but once your off you have to hike your boat back up.
lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #28
Hi everyone, by way of introduction my name is Mike. The funny part is that I know next to nothing about boating, but I am involved in a sport called canyoneering here in Colorado. Basically, like all of you, we look for various creeks that we can "descend" - we generally look for creeks with low volume that are in deep gorges, preferably with waterfalls. Instead of using a boat, we use ropes and swimming to descend the creeks - hence our preference for low flow. I check in on this site every so often and have found some great ideas of places to scout. Thanks for the info

I finally decided to join and post because a few creeks that have been canyoneered for years have been mentioned in this thread, so hopefully I have some information that you'll find useful, but keep in mind that I really don't know what would make a run 'runnable' or not. The streams I'll describe are usually descended around August, long after the runoff is over, and when the flow is quite low (too low to boat), so any photos will be really low conditions. But the spring may be a different tale...

Wolf Creek: There are 2 gorges that have been descended for years by canyoneers. What we call Upper Wolf Creek is in the area where Camp Creek meets up with it, and Lower Wolf Creek starts at the highway hairpins, right at the Tunnel of Love. Both are classic, but both contain drops whose landings are very shallow, which I assume is bad for boating.

Descriptons are to be had here at:

Another one is the North Fork of the Snake, just below A-Basin ski resort. We descend the short gorge that starts at the lowest ski resort parking lot, and ends with Snake River Falls. There are 2 drops where we need ropes, the first is only 5 or 6 feet high. The landing is about waist deep, but some years enough rock and debris was in there to make it only a foot deep in spots, so we use ropes instead of jumping it. The second is Snake River Falls itself, the landing is only knee deep. There are a few logjams here and there in the gorge, but very manageable. You can also easily access the river below Snake River Falls (5 min hike from your car), thus avoiding the big drops, but I don't know anything about the river downstream from that point. Info on the gorge at:

We've done a lot of exploration of similar creeks around Colorado, particularly in the San Juans, though we've found a few along the Front Range as well. I'm not sure if any of you are interested, but I'd be happy to to share some info on others ones (particularly in the san juans, because they are just so cool). I imagine at least parts of some of them are runnable via boat in the spring, though getting to those parts with a boat might be tough logistically.

mdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #29
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
I caught a glimpse of the creek above Montgomery Res. this fall driving back from Breck to Dgo.I was some distance away,so my perception might be skewed,but it looked like a series of falls and slides that were runnable.
d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #30
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
hi mike--awesome photos! we would love to hear more... particularly the san juan areas. i live in telluride and there are good opportunities for canyoneering around here. lake fork of the san miguel has 40 and 80 footers, and is very "wildernessy". probably does not see much exploration.

steven is offline   Reply With Quote