Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-16-2006   #91
York, Pennsylvania
I'm the other half of the Cinnamon gorge team- I'll add to this discussion by crossing some things off the list- the things we crossed off our list last year in the upper Animas area.

Cunningham Creek- Had one or two good drops that had a lot of mining debris and/or wood, separated by mosty drops and meadow boating

Maggie gulch/Minnie gulch- I don't know why someone even told us to look at these- I think they had just looked at a map and guessed...

Eureka Gulch- ends in a good looking 40 slide drop, but starts with a vertical 60fter onto rocks. Not sure what's in the middle. Bring your climbing/rappell gear. The upper section didn't look all that good.

Upper Animas looked good when we drove it, but had a lot of snow bridges over it.

As Gordon said, there's a fun sequence on Cottonwood creek near Sherman. The rest of the creek that we could see from the road looked low and mankey, but steep. might be something else good in there.

I was just looking up levels from the day we ran Cinnimon gorge in preperation for trying to head back there.

It might be good from someone (Yeti?) to compile everything that's been said in this thread into something more organized/readable.

RodeoClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #92
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
one step ahead of you. i already compiled a master list of the stretches here in CO that HAVE been run. ive got a rough written list of everything that hasnt been run, whether it goes or not. ill type it up later tonight when i get to the next hotel and post it sometime tonight, that way we can get a new post started and let this one go the way of the dinosaurs.

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #93
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
...and in the meantime, there is a posse that has bagged three first descents in the last two weeks, none of which have been mentioned in this thread. Salut, boys.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #94
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
thats because theyve got their own topic! no need to have a second one. besides, with their post people to get to read about it immediately and will know who was on it. this post is mostly to find out what is out there and what has and hasnt been run. but believe me, i definitely gave those guys props for their sikness
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #95
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
Hey Yeti,
Sorry i'm late for this forum, but been in Idaho for a couple weeks. Heres a couple to mark of the list.
-Goose creek into the Rio G- class III willow run for at least eight miles. Has been run. I know the landowners at wagonwheel, they probably would not like anyone even near their place (very private). Maybe something way high but...
-Upper ten mile. Ran it when i lived in leadville 5-6 years ago. one fourfoot ledge. the rest is easy III when peaking. Go if you feel it. Stick to the lower sections.
-Navajo- Scouted all it from the divide. I hunt some up there. Looks good from a long way off, but you would get your head blown off. I wouldn't do it without somekind of legal access.
-SF of the conejos- the drainage i basecamp around there. Long hike (12-14 mi) to some marginal. Was in there during a august two day rain, it looked pretty good all the way down then (IV).
-tried to get to piedra falls to check it out three weeks ago and got denied by the gate. I passed the gate and scared a huge herd of elk. Dark, didn't make it. I will write you back with some logistics next week when i check it out.
floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #96
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
So- Vail locals - what about Lake Creek above Edwards? The topos look as if that area has potential. I haven't driven up that road, but I was curious about it when I drove by on I-70 the other day and looked up the topos. Chad? Hobie? Anybody prospected up that way?

Gauge link: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote