Old 03-22-2011   #11
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
In february

What % of your day was in the sun and what was in the shadows?

Thanks for sharing this.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011   #12
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I think it is safe to say that we had 90+% sun on the days that weren't cloudy between 10 and 4. It usually arrived at river level around 9:30-10, and left us around 4:00. The weather on the trip turned out much better than what I planned around, but we managed.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011   #13
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
That right side run on Lava can be dicey eh? Those laterals coming off the wall really slap yea around. Almost made the V at the top. Well done. Thanks for the video. Those head cams are pretty nice. Need to get one.

kayakingphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Absolutely a great video! It's one of the few (maybe the only one, really) videos that I've seen that truly give a sense of the scale of the water, especially at the higher flows you had. Also one of the best uses on river of a GoPro I've seen.

This video has served me well in another way: I'm leaving Sunday for my second Grand trip (the first was a few years ago on a commercial trip). We're meeting our group, which launched yesterday, at Phantom Ranch. I'm stoked to go, but definitely jonesin', knowing the rest of the group is on the water now. The video is putting me on the river mentally! It's also helping me prepare for Lava, since our flows should be similar to yours. Thanks!
waterbob83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #15
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Excellent! Remember to look up once in a while.

If you want to run right at Lava, note that I was about 4' to the right of where I wanted to be when I reached the V-wave. I was expecting on a surge from the eddy at the top right to push me farther left, so I chose to skirt very close to that eddy line. Anyway, that surge didn't arrive.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Absolutely on the looking up! One of the best parts of the trip is that we have a few geologists going!

If the water level is the same, I am planning on running Lava to the right, and am *planning* on being a bit farther to the left when I get to the v-wave, like you said. I must say, I was thoroughly impressed at the passenger holding on when the wave hit!

waterbob83 is online now   Reply With Quote