Old 05-10-2005   #11
Indian Hills, Colorado

Great for nosebleeds
Help out your lady-friends
Toss a few in the eddies to give the river that "front range feel"

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #12
Salida, Colorado
Roll of duct tape and a pocket mask. If you can't fix it with those two I guess it's chopper go baby!

No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #13
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say you're all silly. Some of these kits would be great for a M.F. Salmon or cataract trip, but for 98% of kayaking that's a lot of junk that can be inprovised if needed. I carry:

Duct Tape
Anti-Histamine pills
CPR mask
Latex Gloves
Spare Granola Bars
Break Down Paddle

Slings and gauze are easily improvised with a shirt(s). Duct tape will work as kerlex, ace bandage, boat fix and a million other things. For splints try a stick. As for bandaids, tylenol, neosporin and such, it's really not that hard to tough it out if you're within a few hours paddle of a car and none of that is life or death. As for purification tabs, Colorado doesn't have any bacteria in it's streams (sans confluence) that will kill you. Girardia doesn't set in for two weeks. In an emergency drink the river. I try to only bring things that will make or break someone on the river. An epi-pen and anti-histamine will be the difference for an allergic bee sting, a CPR mask and gloves will be the difference when you don't get a stranger's blood borne illness, GU will be the difference for a diabetic and a head lamp, granola bars, duct tape and leatherman will be the difference if you break gear or get lost. All this stuff fits with a camera into a small Peli-case.
For safety, all kayakers ought to carry at least two lighters as well
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #14
oh yeah
i agree joe (mostly)

first, a shoulder dislocation isn't that uncommon. there was an epic last summer on lime creek? where a guy had to climb out with a dislocation. i bet he wished he had a way to stabilize his shoulder (did he?). i'm not giving up my clothing for his safety. i will however give him a triangular bandage. it's no bigger than five 2 X 2's stacked together.

second, a laceration is quite feasible. do you want your buddies fleece wraped around a deep cut? i'd rather something sterile like kerlex. it's lightweight and can be squished down pretty small.

and lastly, have you made a splint for a tib/fib fracture? i've tried. and it sucked. the sam splint will get you moving a lot quicker.

most of this isn't needed for roadside runs but imagine something going down on lower south boulder, bailey or the encampment.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #15
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
DanOrion's right on about the tampons - thanks to a "pins and clips" oar-rig setup, I dressed a 45-stitch wound with a couple of OB tampons and some athletic tape. I heard the nurses got a kick out of it down at the ER. OBs are really compact too!

In addition, I've got some of the little hand wipes from the gas station and some other stuff for quick cleanup of minor wounds.

I'll also second having Gu or some other quick blood-sugar fix in there for either diabetics or, more likely, hypothermic swimmers who've just been chundered.

While we're thinking about what's in our First Aid kits, how old is some of that stuff in there??? I like to start the season by going through my First Aid kit and replenish & change out out some of the things that are running low or getting old (you know - those latex gloves that have dry rot now, that medicine left over from 1995, etc.). I've started putting the date on the non-standard items (like new gloves) that I pack into my kit.

Spending a few extra bucks for a ProPaddler or some other specialized kit is worth it when you figure out what you'd spend at the drugstore to stock your own, and your time getting it all together. The flimsy Adventure Med. drybag seems to work OK for me - it gets a little water in the rolled part of the bag so I open it up to dry out the mouth of the bag after river trips.

I hope I never have to use any of it though!!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #16
Steel wool works great use "000" grade as a fire starter.
We used "crazy glue" in the kitchen I worked in all the time.

The Nalgene bottle is a good one, I am going to use it now.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #17
Another WFR here... Diaper pins are really useful items. You can pin a sleeve to a shirt for an instant sling. I'm also a big fan of Vet Wrap which is like an Ace bandage but sticks to itself.

Regarding superglue and butterfly bandages for closing gashes, it's really not a good idea to close up wounds. Leave that to the doctors when you get back to civilization. If drainage is impaired you are asking for infection. Best to just use your vet wrap to attach a Kotex over the wound then periodically clean and redress.
ericF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #18
A full bottle of Vicodone is what I have in my first aid kit.
Withdrawn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #19
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985

CW, after reading your quote, I'd carry some condoms.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #20
Salida, Colorado
OK McGyver's here ya go. Somebody cracks their head open days from help. Rinse with soapy clean water. Take a hair from each side of the cut and tie the wound closed with the hairs! Sutures a~naturale.
Prob be good if you could coax a back rub from the girls with the vicodin and
condoms in you tent later too... tequila might be helpful in facilitating that arrangement.

Seriously tho. Don't take anything with acetaminophen/tylenol in it if you're drinking alcohol. It'll rot your liver so quick. Lotsa liver failure from partiers
who pound tylenol the next day. Aspirin/ibuprofen is your friend.

No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote