Old 07-27-2010   #41
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
Seriously. "What type of bullet proof vest should I wear on the MFS to protect me from all the gun nuts?"
Gun nuts? What gun nuts? I know lots of boaters that pack. These are guys I trust with my life on a regular basis. I don't really care if they do or don 't I trust them. Just cuz your strapped doesn't mean you are a gun nut.
I personally don't. The guys in my core crew are respectful enough of me, that they tell what and where they are carrying.

Unlike the CO kayaktards that came and did the Selway with me and I carried the guys gun down the damn river without knowing it and he didn't even invite me to come shoot with them.........jackass.

Originally Posted by Sidnye View Post

If you want to hunt bears on the MFS, wait til the season opens in September, buy a license and a tag and bring an '06 or 308

Like Carvedog said, the smart ones (habituated) sometimes can be persitant.
The Middle Fork sucks in the fall. Low scrapy water, hundreds of heavily armed drunken hunters all through the river corridor. No place for sane people. Stay away. Unsafe.

Funny story about a bear that became used to 20 new coolers showing up every night at Boundary Creek: My buddy Scooter was on the sweep boat when this big male came on down the trail to raid the boats.

Scoot was up front tieing gear on when the bear came up to the boat. The only "weapon" he had to keep the bear away from 20lbs of fresh Alaskan salmon (special treat for the deadhead crew) was a 12 pack of Budweiser. Even though he had a direct hit to the head with nearly every 12oz slug, the bear was unfazedby the King. Scoot dove off the sweep into the eddy and the beast went directly to the salmon cooler.

So if you are intent on keeping a bear away use different ammo than hand fired 12 oz "slugs".

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010   #42
Columbia Falls, Montana
Leave your guns at home and bring your bear spray.

MSW9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010   #43
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I find a sidearm to be more useful on the way to a river, truckstops, rest areas, etc. At that point do you leave it in the car for the shuttle driver to find, or take it with you.......

Usually if you are an out of stater to carry a loaded firearm you either need a valid hunting license or valid CCW. A firearm related charge may mean a felony, and therefore your right to own or possess a firearm is now gone.

If your sole concern is ursine problems, hands down a 12 gauge with 1 round of 00, followed by 3" slugs. For the crack heads at the truck stop; a 40sw with 185g speer gold dots.
Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010   #44
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Fire all of the guns at once and...explode into space.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010   #45
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1973
loin cloth, swiss army knife, potato gun...sack up gun nutz
riomapas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010   #46
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
On my first trip down the Salt two guys brought handguns without telling everyone, and then wandered off into the thickest brush around just across the river from Cherry Creek and started blasting away, again without any prior warning. They swore later that they were being "safe," and somehow knew that no one in their camp or the camp just downstream was anywhere downrange, despite the 10' tall vicious desert thorns from Hell keeping line of sight to about 30'.

My 2nd trip down the Salt included three handguns, but they were out of sight for the four days on the river. The roadtrip back, however, had a loaded, chambered glock sitting unsecured on the dashboard of the pickup truck I was unfortunate enough to be riding in because the driver wanted to be "ready." This driver was also a fan of tailgating at 75 mph after dark and screaming obscenities at anyone slowing him down.

The only danger I've ever been in where a gun would've been nice has involved other paranoid idjits with thundersticks.

So yes, bring a gun, keep a round in the chamber, and take out anyone who looks at ya funny, 'cause that might be your only chance.

It seems to me that if you have a gun locked up in the dry box you might as well not have one. True life-threatening situations usually happen suddenly and don't give much time for easing over to the boat, undoing a couple of straps, opening a lid, rummaging around inside, pulling out your weapon of choice, loading it, then swinging the business end up and BLAM! Any situation that gives you that amount of time is probably avoidable, given the slightest bit of intelligence, good communication, and forethought.

It's all'y'alls choice, but I've managed to avoid having to blow away any carnivores or fellow humans so far...
-Τὸ χόβερκράφτ μου εἶναι γεμᾶτο χέλια!
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010   #47
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
These threads are dumb. My dog friends dogs bug me on the river. So I don't invite 'em on the river sometimes. I don't hate on 'em for having dogs. Don't blame other people for where you put your boundaries. Exercise your boundaries like an adult.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #48
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Simpleman, you appear cranky today. Sorry but the river always drops in July.

Need to revisit the stopping power issue so I know what type of repair kit to bring when I boat with you folks. A bunch of mice holes from the small caliber or one big hole from the 1911. Any of them would probably go through every tube on my boat when you miss the bear. That's a lot of holes. So please do inform boat owners of what's in your dry box. And we may be in a better position to retrieve it if actually needed.

And if you are male, please put your sidearm away while bathing nude in the cold water. That shiny steel barrel holstered on your side makes you look even smaller than the cold water justifies.

Wish I still had my lever-action 30-30. It would match my old wood oars so nicely.
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #49
Wild Wild West, Colorado

Not sure about whether to mount to frame or as part of gear pile, but what about a cannon?

Ian Altman points to injuries suffered Sunday morning on the Colorado Trail when he was shot by a small cannon during the Colorado Trail Jamboree, an annual fundraiser for multiple sclerosis that Altman organized. Altman believes the wounds were caused by wadding and other materials causing burns on his legs and arms. He continued riding after being sprayed from the cannon, and he did not seek medical attention.

Droboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #50
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I'd mount the cannon to the frame, more stable and safer. You can rig a blast deflector using dry boxes for safety.

In flat water a small canon could be expected to accurately lob wounds 400 yards, or from Black Rocks #1 to #9.

I think the fishing potential could be pretty stellar with a large enough concussion round.

Bluesky; sounds like you need to travel with better friends. Loaded guns are safe, idiots with loaded guns are not.

Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote