Mountain Buzz banner

Financial reasons to Build A WWP?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Jiberish 
#1 ·
I know, im sure this post is getting old! Sorry, but does anyone know of a website, or have any info about how much money a town brings in, due to a correlation with there WW park? I heard Golden brings in 1.2 million a year. Is this true? Im trying to put together figures on how much I spend at all the wwp I go to, as well as competition fees ect. If anyone has any figures that would be exellent. Its to go toward a WWP task force in Glenwood Springs, which is putting together a presentation by next thursday! Anywho, thanks again, and again.......and probably again in the future....

Ben Guska :p

#2 ·
Dude, you need to plan a little better. What were you planning to talk about if something didn't fall in your lap? Check out Paddler Magazine May/June 2002. The article is called, "Park and Play: An inside look at the nation's top urban whitewater parks."

#4 ·
I still think the main benefit a WW park has to Glenwood is not the kaykers it brings in, but the entertainment it provides to the masses of tourists walking over the bridge. Glenwood has a great setup with the foot bridge over the river. It's one thing for 10 kaykers to have fun in the waves, but another for the 500 people who walk over the bridge to be entertained.

A good kayaker playing in a wave or a bad one struggling gets lots of spectators. Even Denver Confluence gets quite a few people stopping for 5 minutes and they don't have good waves, usually.

#5 ·
Spencer, do you have any more info on that article? I can't find it in Paddler Magazine May/June 2002 Archives. Searching for it comes up empty as well.

Ben, I would love to see that park built. It is in a strong paddleing community and flows are aways great. I would definatly travel up there in "off season". Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Taylor

#6 ·
The Park and Play article Spencer mentioned is the May 2002 issue. Rico emailed me a copy of it a few weeks ago, I can pass it along to you (email me at xyztimber@yahoo.com).

Ben - look back at the other whitewater park thread you started a few weeks ago. In that thread Caspian and I discuss the economic impact study at Golden. I'd suggest if you're going to use the numbers in the report, that you actually read the report (linked from REP's website www.wwparks.com) . It is kindof a thick jargon-filled read, but the point is that Golden does not "make" 1.4 million dollars a year, instead, there is an estimated 1.4 - 2.0 million economic "benefit" from the park. This includes the value of the time that boaters spend at the park, in addition to more concrete items like hotel rooms, entry fees, and dinner at Woody's. So if "economic benefit" sounds fuzzy, it is because it kindof is to a non-economist. I would avoid saying that "the park in Golden brings in a specific number of dollars", though, because that information is not obvious, since the people doing that report didn't specify whether travel costs were incurred in Golden or Denver or Boulder, for example.

Still, the report is worth citing, as community govts are interested in that kind of thing.

#7 ·
Hey Ben,

I would have to say that Glenwood Springs is arguably the best location on the western slope of CO to host a WW park. Glenwood Springs, the Colorado River, and specifically, Two Rivers Park:
1. Has consistent river flows throughout the year
2. Is conveniently located along the Hwy 70 corridor
3. Is easily accessed by many outlying communities/paddlers
4. Has a riverside trail network already in place
5. Has paddler/spectator parking already in place

Good luck and wear nice shoes (I'm serious!).

Dave G.
Steamboat

#8 ·
Thanks

Hey, thanks you all, Mike, I really appreciate the PFD. file you posted! IT is awesome! Claire, thanks for the email.....and Gard_nerd, good reason, and I can only agree. I know that all of this was short notice, but a few guys on the ww task force gave me the responsibility to convince city council on the financial reasons........with about a weeks notice, so I know im not really the best at orginazation skills, but im trying to fit all this in with hockey fived days a week, and weekend games, as well as school. ALL of your posts have helped me, and the City of Glenwood out! I hope this all works.......Anyone have any news on the possible Colorado Cup? That sounds like an awesome idea!

Thanks again!

Ben Guska

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.