Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-11-2011   #1
omaha, Nebraska
Paddling Since: 2010
filter plant/ poudre.... Where to put in at?!

Looking to do the filter plant run in denver and im from out of town, where do i put in at? Also how is that run looking right now? Good for newbies?

anyone have a map or good directions?

r1yfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
It's hard to describe, it's a turn out on a bend in the road. Stop at RMA on the way up and they will be able to tell exactly.

Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #3
Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
The Filter Plant on the Poudre is not in Denver it's near Fort Collins up Highway 14. You can put in at Gateway Park or downstream from the park at a pull out with stairs going down to the river.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #4
omaha, Nebraska
Paddling Since: 2010
we will take out at picnic rock... i guess we will cruise up the river a few miles and see where to go in at.... Anyone been up there lately... i hear its flowing at 2600ish... is that alot for that run? dont want to get in over my head.
r1yfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I scouted Filter Plant yesterday. Some fairy punchy waves to the outside in the first bend to the left after the put-in, fast current, and Mad Dog is an easy move to left of center with a few pressure waves in the run out. The take out is Picnic Rock, which has good signage, and there should be other river folk hanging around. Just ask around when you arrive. Most likely, you'll run into another kayaker (assume you're kayaking) who is making laps and needs a ride back up to the put-in. Keep in mind that anywhere you go in Colorado for river running, right now, is going to be at a high flow and the current will be swift and pushy. Eddy lines will also be more difficult to negotiate. If you have the option, consider floating with someone who knows the run.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #6
x, x
Paddling Since: x
I can show you down depending on when you are in town, if you would like. it is a III run with the action up top and a mellow run out to the take out. It is seasonally high water right now but I would say the low side of high and reasonable for a semi beginer,

there is apple valley in lyons also a beginer run, again, i can show you down if it works out.

let me know your plans 720-2nine1-6945 bob
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #7
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
If you stop at Rocky Moutain Adventures on the highway north of Ft. Collins where it intersects with Shields, they have a guide to the Poudre - cheap and very informative. It has the info on all the rapids. Wish I could take you this week. We leave in the morning for the East Coast to surf with my grandkids for a week. At this level, Gateway Park, a little over 2 miles upstream of Picnic Rock, is a good launch. Top of a long hill, hidden drive going down to the right (marked). City of Ft. Collins lets you launch there for free if you don't leave your car there. We drop the boats, drive back to Picnic Rock take-out and leave the car, then hitch back up. You can scout all the rapids on the way up. Screaming Left Hand Turn, the 2nd rapid (1st marked one in the book) has a big wave train, so you may want to stay a little left (inside) if you don't think you can handle it. The rest of them are no problem.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #8
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
For sure launch from Gateway park, you get almost another 1/2 mile of river to run if you put in there.

Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote