Old 06-20-2006   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Filter plant for duckie trip?

Taking my mom and wife on a duckie trip this sunday. I was thinking filter plant. The rock report noted 2.75' most recently I think. Is this enough to run filter plant in duckies? Not really looking for action, but a mellow non-threatening float. Is there a low cut off below where it would be rock dragging if it keeps dropping fast?

Also any other ideas for mellow duckie floats. Tried deckers, and the rocks sucked (too low). Pumphouse was top notch for what we were looking for, but farther away from Denver.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #2
Haven't done FP in a duckie, so not 100% sure...hopefully someone else with firsthand exp can chime in...but I'd guess for the most part at least, it'd be good to go still. Perhaps some "low" spots for a ducky, but I wouldn't think it'd be too bad at this level.

Maybe too mellow...and haven't looked at flows recently so maybe no good right now...but if there's water, you could do a stretch of the S Platte in town...starting at C-470, multiple take out options...the water is pretty clean on that end.

You noted pumphouse was a bit this probably isn't a great suggestion either, but the Grizzly Creek to 2 Rivers on the Colorado is also a mellow option. Nice thing there is, if things go well enough and you have a tandem, you could then "guide" your mom or your wife one at a time down Shoshone for something more exciting. Pretty easy to find a ride, but can easily do the bike shuttle as well for both runs...

spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #3
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
float a duck

I have been looking for someone to help with shuttle for a duckie trip this sunday. Planning on Bridges/FP but open to C470sp or ark trip above the gorge. check you pm
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #4
Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
Floated filter plant last sunday, had two duckies following with first time paddlers and they had a blast.
No low spots to worry about but some rocks to paddle around as usual on the Poudre.
I think Pumphouse is as close as the poudre and a longer more scenic run.
It's what I always opt for when the parents come out.
It too is running at a very safe level right now and shuttles are no problems on either the Poudre or Pumphouse due to large flow of traffic around each.
Have fun!
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote